Understanding what integrating in polar gives you

In summary, The conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding integration with polar coordinates and visualizing the process. An integral is provided, which was originally in rectangular coordinates but was changed to polar coordinates. Mathematically, the answer appears to be 0, but visually it seems to be a quarter of a washer. The discussion then turns to the symmetry of the function x^2 - y^2 in the region and the significance of the line x=y. The conversation ends with a hint to think about the nature of the ^2 term in relation to solutions.
tnmann10
I am not understanding integration with polar coordinates, or at least visualizing what is happening. Here's the integral calculated in Wolfram:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(r^2(cost^2-sint^2))r+drdt+t=(0)..(pi/2)+r=(1)..(2)+

the integral before I changed it to polar was just ∫R(x2-y2)dA where R is the first quadrant region between the circles of radius 1 and 2

mathematically it makes sense that the answer is 0.

but when you draw the picture it is a quarter of a washer in the xy plane. This does not seem like 0 to me. Would someone please explain where my thinking is going wrong?

Thanks

First post:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The function x^2 -y^2 is symmetric in that region when you reflect over the line x=y, with the function negative on one half and positive on the other

ok that makes sense, but why the line x=y?

tnmann10 said:
ok that makes sense, but why the line x=y?

Think about the nature of ^2 term in terms of the solutions (hint: + and -).

Related to Understanding what integrating in polar gives you

What is integration in polar coordinates?

Integration in polar coordinates is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve in a polar coordinate system. It involves converting the polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates and then using the standard integration techniques to find the area.

What does integrating in polar coordinates give you?

Integrating in polar coordinates gives you the area under a curve in a polar coordinate system. This is useful in many applications, such as finding the area of a circle or calculating the work done by a force in a circular motion.

How do you convert polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates, you can use the following formulas: x = rcos(theta) and y = rsin(theta), where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle from the polar axis. Once you have the rectangular coordinates, you can use standard integration techniques to find the area.

What are the advantages of using polar coordinates for integration?

One advantage of using polar coordinates for integration is that it can simplify certain integrals, particularly those involving circular or symmetric shapes. It can also be useful in situations where the boundaries of the shape are more easily defined in polar coordinates.

Are there any limitations to using integration in polar coordinates?

One limitation of using integration in polar coordinates is that it can be more difficult to visualize the shape and boundaries of the region being integrated. It may also be more challenging to set up the integral in polar coordinates, especially for more complex shapes.

Back