Understanding Zn(OH)2 & Al(OH)3: Ampiprotic Properties

• Thread starter Epsillon
  • Start date
In summary, Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 are considered ampiprotic because they exhibit both acidic and basic properties. This is evidenced by their reaction with water and Phenolphthalein, in which they produce a clear color indicating their amphoteric nature. Additionally, their reaction with 6M HCl results in a clear solution, while their reaction with 6M NaOH produces a red color. The presence of precipitates also supports the conclusion that these compounds can act as both acids and bases.
Epsillon

Homework Statement

Basicly why are Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 ampiprotic given that they give have a clear color when reacted with water and Phenolphthalein and given that when reacted with 6M HCl they are clear and when reacted with 6M of NaOH they are red.

Note for Phenolphthalein red mean basic colourless means acidic.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that they react as an acid when in water but to prove that they are ampiprotic you have to prove they react as a base with HCl which I cannot figure out how to do since they can also react as an acid with HCl increasing H+ ions still giving you coloirless color.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your experimental setup didn't allow to conlcude anything about Al and Zn amphoterism.

Oh i think i have to use the fact that there were precipitates

Related to Understanding Zn(OH)2 & Al(OH)3: Ampiprotic Properties

1. What are the chemical formulas for Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3?

The chemical formula for zinc hydroxide is Zn(OH)2 and the chemical formula for aluminum hydroxide is Al(OH)3.

2. What does it mean for a substance to be amphoteric?

An amphoteric substance is one that can act as both an acid and a base, depending on the reaction it is involved in. This means that it can both donate and accept protons.

3. Why are Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 considered amphoteric?

Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 are considered amphoteric because they have both acidic and basic properties. They can react with both acids and bases, and can act as either an acid or a base depending on the conditions.

4. How do Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 behave in acidic solutions?

In acidic solutions, Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 act as bases, accepting protons and forming their respective conjugate acids, Zn2+ and Al3+.

5. How do Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 behave in basic solutions?

In basic solutions, Zn(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 act as acids, donating protons and forming their respective conjugate bases, Zn(OH)- and Al(OH)2-.