Undetermined coefficients why doesn't it work?

In summary, the problem is solved by breaking it into three parts and finding their individual solutions. However, when trying to combine the solutions, it is important to remember not to split up products in the forcing function when relying on superposition. Instead, the second solution must be solved separately and then added to the first to find the particular solution.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

y''+y=3sin2t+2tcos2t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this problem by breaking it into 3 others. It doesn't quite work, and I want to know why.

First, I solved for the nonhomog part of:

y''+y=3sin2t

Which is Y1 = -sin2t

Then, I did the same with

y''+y = 2t

which is Y2 = 2t

Lastly, I did

y''+y=cos2t

Which is Y3 = -(1/3)cos2t

Combining these with the homog. parts gives me:

y = c1cost + c2sint - (2/3)tcos2t -sin2t

But, this is not quite right, as the -sin2t should be -(1/9)sin2t.

What is incorrect about breaking the DE up and putting it back together in this way?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't split up products in the forcing function when relying on superposition. Your first solution is fine, but you need to solve
$$y''+y = 2t\cos 2t$$ to get the second solution, which you can then add it to the first to find the particular solution.

vela said:
You don't split up products in the forcing function when relying on superposition. Your first solution is fine, but you need to solve
$$y''+y = 2t\cos 2t$$ to get the second solution, which you can then add it to the first to find the particular solution.

I really thought that was the case before starting.

Is this the case because:

d/dt(f(t) + g(t)) = f'(t) + g'(t)

but
d/dt(f(t)g(t)) =/= f'(t)g'(t)

?

Yeah, pretty much.

This is kind of interesting.

Thanks, now I can solve these problems.

But, I wonder, with these terms I have found before, is there a way to construct the answer? Applying the product rule to the second two terms and adding that to the first doesn't work. I'm trying to think about what's going on and how those terms relate to the correct answer, since it's close. I tend to do that.

1MileCrash said:
This is kind of interesting.

Thanks, now I can solve these problems.

But, I wonder, with these terms I have found before, is there a way to construct the answer? Applying the product rule to the second two terms and adding that to the first doesn't work. I'm trying to think about what's going on and how those terms relate to the correct answer, since it's close. I tend to do that.
Suppose L(f(t)) = u(t) and L(g(t)) = v(t), where L(h) = h"+h.
L(fg) = f"g + 2f'g' + fg" + fg
uv = f"g + fg" + fg + f"g"
L(fg) - uv = 2f'g' - f"g"
In this example, f" = k g' etc., so it almost worked.

Related to Undetermined coefficients why doesn't it work?

1. Why doesn't the method of undetermined coefficients always work?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It relies on the assumption that the particular solution can be represented by a linear combination of known functions. However, this method may fail if the form of the inhomogeneous term does not match any of the known functions in the solution. In such cases, other methods such as variation of parameters may be used to find a solution.

2. Can't I just keep trying different functions until I find the correct one?

While it is possible to use trial and error to find the correct particular solution, this method can be time-consuming and may not always yield the correct result. It is more efficient to first analyze the form of the inhomogeneous term and determine if it matches any of the known functions. If it does not, then another method should be used.

3. What should I do if I encounter a non-constant coefficient in the differential equation?

The method of undetermined coefficients is only applicable to differential equations with constant coefficients. If you encounter a non-constant coefficient, you can first try to transform the equation into one with constant coefficients by using a change of variables. If this is not possible, then the method of undetermined coefficients cannot be used and you will need to use other methods such as Laplace transforms.

4. Is there a way to determine if the method of undetermined coefficients will work before trying it?

Yes, there are certain criteria that can be used to determine if the method of undetermined coefficients will work for a given differential equation. These criteria include the degree of the inhomogeneous term and the form of the homogeneous solution. It is important to check these criteria before attempting to use this method to avoid wasting time on an unsolvable equation.

5. Can I use the method of undetermined coefficients for nonlinear differential equations?

No, the method of undetermined coefficients is only applicable to linear differential equations. Nonlinear differential equations require different techniques, such as separation of variables or numerical methods, to find solutions. It is important to identify the type of equation before choosing an appropriate method for solving it.