Uniform beam reinforced with iron, how to approach?

In summary: Once you have solved these equations for one material, you can then apply them to a composite section.
Alex Santos
So I am starting to learn for the final exam a bit early and I am trying to do this problem with a uniform beam which is reinforced with iron inside. I know how to calculate this if it wasn't for the reinforcement within the concrete. I know that the purpose of the iron reinforcement is to account for shear stress but I do now know how it involves in my equations or which equation I use.
Can someone explain how to approach these kind of problems in general?
Picture of the problem is in the link

1. Homework Statement

So I am suppose to find the maximum force q so that the normal stress within the beam caused by momentum is within allowed constraints.
qw is the weight of the beam and q is the external force applied

physical properties of concrete: EC = 20GPa, tension σ t Y C = 3MPa and compression σ c Y C = 30 MPa. physical properties of iron Ei = 190GPa, tension σY i = 400MPa. density of the beam is γ = 24kN/m3 . moment of the inertia I = bh3/12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done anything so far because I do not know where to start.

Attachments

• mechanics.png
    mechanics.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start out with what you can do, which is writing out your shear and moment equations? What is your solution to the problem if the steel reinforcement wasn't there (if you can't get that, then you certainly won't be able to do it with the reinforcement present)? Can you guess how the tensile strain would vary with position through the thickness of the beam with and without the steel reinforcement present?

Chet

Alex Santos said:
I know that the purpose of the iron reinforcement is to account for shear stress
Although the iron does make a contribution to shear resistance, its orientation longitudinally means that its main purpose is to strengthen the bending resistance. You need to to study 'elastic analysis of composite sections' in order to develop the equations you require. This requires you to develop an equivalent section made of one material, but with different geometry, so that you can apply the knowledge you now have.

Related to Uniform beam reinforced with iron, how to approach?

1. What is a uniform beam reinforced with iron?

A uniform beam reinforced with iron is a type of structural support that consists of a beam made of a uniform material, such as wood or steel, that is reinforced with iron rods or bars to increase its strength and stability. This type of reinforcement is commonly used in construction and engineering projects.

2. Why is iron used to reinforce uniform beams?

Iron is used to reinforce uniform beams because it is a strong and durable material that can withstand heavy loads and stresses. It is also readily available and relatively inexpensive, making it a practical choice for reinforcement in construction and engineering applications.

3. What are the benefits of using a uniform beam reinforced with iron?

Using a uniform beam reinforced with iron can provide several benefits, including increased strength and stability of the beam, improved load-bearing capacity, and enhanced resistance to bending and sagging. It can also help to prevent damage and collapse of structures, making it a crucial component in building and infrastructure design.

4. How do you approach designing a uniform beam reinforced with iron?

Designing a uniform beam reinforced with iron involves several steps, including determining the load and stress factors that the beam will need to support, selecting the appropriate type and size of iron reinforcement, and calculating the required spacing and layout of the reinforcement. It is important to follow engineering principles and standards to ensure that the beam can safely withstand the intended loads and conditions.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a uniform beam reinforced with iron?

While there are many benefits to using a uniform beam reinforced with iron, there are also some potential disadvantages. These may include increased material and labor costs, as well as the added weight and bulk of the reinforcement. In some cases, using iron reinforcement may also require additional maintenance and inspection to ensure its continued effectiveness.