Uniform circular motion and coefficient of friction

In summary, in this conversation, the question is posed about the static frictional force required to keep someone from flying off a merry-go-round. The equations used to solve the problem are provided and the calculation process is explained. It is determined that the required force is 450N, but when taking into account the coefficient of static friction, it is found that the person would in fact slide off the merry-go-round.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

You are standing on a merry-go round spinning at 12 rpm. The radius of the merry-go round is 5 meters, and you have a mass of 57kg. What static frictional force between your shoes and the merry-go round is required to keep you from flying off?

Homework Equations

Vc=(2*pi*r)/T

Ac=(Vc^2)/R

Fnet=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright here goes...

Vc=(2*pi*r)/T so Vc=(2*pi*5)/.2 = 157

Ac=(157^2)/5 =4934

here is where I get confused... I think I should use Fnet=ma

so it would be Fnet=(57)(4934)

I'm not sure what Fnet is composed of though...where does the coefficient of friction come in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation Fs= Ms*Fn

Fs is the static force, Fn is the normal force and Ms is the coefficient of static friction..Is is better now?

so it would be

Ms*Fn=(57)(4934)Fn = (57)(-9.81)

Ms*(57)(-9.81)=(57)(4934)

Ms=502.96 which isn't right did I calculate the acceleration or something wrong?

wait a minute, they are askig you to find the force, not Ms.

So any words of advice for finding that? I'm honestly still pretty lost.

"Fnet" is your answer. Since that is the only force present and it what is keeping you on the merry-go-round. The problem isn't asking you to specify any further.

My teacher gave us the answer its... Ff=450N required, Ff=45N available therefore you would slide off, how does Fnet equal that?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just really do not understand.

Have you posted all of the information for this problem?

Also, your calculation of linear velocity is incorrect. You've divided by the frequency, not the period. T = 1/frequency, and is expressed in seconds. Do you know how to fix that?

It would be beneficial if you carried your units through your calculations, to see that they work out properly.

!I think I've got it this time :)
Vc=(2*pi*r)/T so Vc=(2*pi*5)/(1/.2) = 6.283

Ac=(6.283^2)/5 =7.9

so now fnet=ma

fnet is only force of friction

Ff=(57)(7.9) =450N so that's how much force is required to keep you on the merry-go round.

Actually I did leave this part out because I wanted to figure out the first part first, which I see has made it confusing. So anyway the rest of the problem reads...If the coefficient of static friction between your shoes and merry-go round is 0.08, would you slide off the merry-go round?so...450N is what's needed to keep you on

Force of friction=(coefficient of friction)(force normal)

Ff=(.08)(57) = 45N

then 45.6N<450N so you slide off.

I'll try to keep track of my units better in the future.Is all the right now?

Last edited:
Actually I did leave this part out because I wanted to figure out the first part first, which I see has made it confusing. So anyway the rest of the problem reads...

If the coefficient of static friction between your shoes and merry-go round is 0.08, would you slide off the merry-go round?
Ah! That makes more sense.

the only little thing I'm not sure about is why when calculating the force of friction here Ff=(.8)(57) = 45.6N you do not also multiply it by -9.81. fnet=ma why do you leave out the a?

You do have to multiply by 9.81. You starting off by saying the coefficient of friction was 0.08, but you used 0.8 in your calculation. Your answer just happened to work out because you increased it by a factor of 10, which is approximately g.

Other than that, I think everything looks OK.

Yep I figured that out shortly after I posted that, thanks for all your help :)

You're welcome. :smile:

FAQ: Uniform circular motion and coefficient of friction

1. What is uniform circular motion and how is it different from regular circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at a constant velocity and the direction of its movement is constantly changing. Regular circular motion, on the other hand, involves an object moving at varying speeds in a circular path.

2. How is the coefficient of friction related to uniform circular motion?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. In uniform circular motion, the coefficient of friction plays a role in determining the centripetal force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. This force must be equal to the product of the object's mass, velocity, and the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors can affect the uniform circular motion of an object?

The uniform circular motion of an object can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the velocity at which it is moving, and the radius of the circular path. The coefficient of friction between the object and its surface can also play a role in determining the object's motion.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the stability of an object in uniform circular motion?

The coefficient of friction can affect the stability of an object in uniform circular motion by determining the amount of frictional force acting on the object. If the coefficient of friction is too low, the object may slip and lose its circular motion. On the other hand, if the coefficient of friction is too high, the object may experience excessive friction and slow down or stop its circular motion.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be measured in a circular motion experiment?

The coefficient of friction can be measured in a circular motion experiment by using a force sensor to measure the centripetal force acting on the object and a motion sensor to measure the object's velocity. By varying the mass and radius of the object and recording the centripetal force and velocity, the coefficient of friction can be calculated using the formula μ = F/mv2.