Unifying Theoretical Physics: Kant & Ritter

In summary: This so-called "philosophy of science," has never been of any use to me. As far as electrodynamics works, it seems to be set up the way it is because the current formulation makes it a lot easier to do problems and arrive at results. Granted, my only knowledge of philosophy is limited to theology, so I really don't know anything about metaphysics. But "who cares?" would probably be my response to the question as well.It's natural to emerge from a Jackson-based course with a "Shut up and calculate!" mindset. That's a little unfair, Philosophy of science only has to be useful to philosophers of science!why is
Philosophy has had an impact on some branches. If I remember (wishful thinking, my memory is atrocious), some major figure in physics used the anthropic principle to place a bound on the fine structure constant. So it may not place error bars on your blazar spectra but it can sometimes be useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
But that is just speculation, don't you think? I mean, considering the fact that many physicists right now didn't have any formal training in philosophy, and yet, they still can function pretty well (would you like to argue with them that they can be better?) clearly shows that you have no evidence to support your argument. In fact, there are plenty of contrary evidence.

Zz.

speculation?---I was going by definitions-- and as far as 'no evidence'---I was using almost direct quotes of the definitions.

Also--you said:

ZapperZ said:
Again, if the subject of philosophy were to go away today, physicists would hardly notice the impact in their work. That, to me, is the most tangible evidence I can offer.

Zz.

I don't know of any papers on that, but if physicists lost the "correct principles of reasoning (logic).", it seems to me that it would impact their work.--wouldn't you think?

rewebster said:
I don't know of any papers on that, but if physicists lost the "correct principles of reasoning (logic).", it seems to me that it would impact their work.--wouldn't you think?

Certainly. But is this something that had to be taught, or is this something innate, or acquired via doing science? That is what I was asking. If the study of birds go away, would the birds still know how to fly or how they should behave?

Zz.

arunma said:
Well...that doesn't seem much like philosophy to me. It's true that Einstein derived special relativity by asking questions like the above, and its true that these questions are highly abstract and require a great degree of physical intuition. But does this really constitute philosophical thought? Abstract and intuitive thought doesn't cause something to fall in the realm of philosophy. After all, at the end of the day, SR had to be testable, even at the theoretical level (i.e. it had to be consistent with Maxwell's Equations). Philosophy, on the other hand, doesn't submit to definitions such as "right" and "wrong," and needn't be tested. For this reason, I'm not sure that Einstein's thought process shold be classified as philosophy.

its a thought experiment:

"Thought experiments have been used in a variety of fields, including philosophy, law, physics, and mathematics."

"Scientists also use thought experiments when particular physical experiments are impossible to conduct (Carl Gustav Hempel labelled these sorts of experiment "theoretical experiments-in-imagination"), such as Einstein's thought experiment of chasing a light beam, leading to Special Relativity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_experiment

To me, a "theoretical experiments-in-imagination" is an abstract thought.

ZapperZ said:
Certainly. But is this something that had to be taught, or is this something innate, or acquired via doing science? That is what I was asking.Zz.

all of the above and more if you want or is needed---are you saying you don't use philosophy (logic) in what you do at work?

I think it depends on the work that someone does.

ZapperZ said:
If the study of birds go away, would the birds still know how to fly or how they should behave?

Zz.

To me, that's not a good comparison for the OP's post,--- and The "Philosophy of science..." , to me, is different than the use of philosophy IN science.

Last edited:
rewebster said:
all of the above and more if you want or is needed---are you saying you don't use philosophy (logic) in what you do at work?

I think it depends on the work that someone does.

To me, that's not a good comparison for the OP's post,--- and The "Philosophy of science..." , to me, is different than the use of philosophy IN science.

I think we have a miscommunication here.

Note that I asked if such skills can only be taught or acquired innately or via practice. I don't have to go to cullinary school to learn how to cook. In fact, the majority of people who cook do not learn how to cook formally. Yet, what is being argued here is that since I can chop and dice and cook almost with the same technique as the professional chefs that went through cullinary school, it shows that cullinary school is necessary? My argument here is that even if there are no cullinary schools, people still can cook and put good food on the table. I would bet on that every time.

I'm not discussing the OP. I'm defending Feynman's quote that puts the OP in perspective. Considering that Feynman was a theorist, I'd say he should know what he's talking about.

Zz.

rewebster said:
Yes---and the "abstract thought" is where new physics theories are derived.

One of my more favorite ones in that vein is the 'what would I see if I were riding a beam of light?'

Isn't that something that Einstein thought up after reading about how telegraphs worked in a children's book?

You're kind of reaching if you're going to include the daydreaming of teenagers. What you're basically doing is sweeping any kind of interesting or innovative thought up into philosophy. The fact that you picked Einstein makes it look even more like aggrandizement of philosophy by coveting prestige for it.

OK, Z--if you insist on going off topic:

yes, Feynman's quote, I agree with it---paraphrasing it: electrons are going to do what they do, no matter how much one studies them.

BUT---to me, it doesn't have relavance to the OP's post.

Does one have to study Philosophy to do Physics?--no------but I think the ideas that have developed in philosophy (if that person has a good grasp on them)--may make a BETTER theoretical physicist.

Last edited:
People may wish to see: http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0410/0410144.pdf
Does one have to study Philosophy to do Physics?--no------but I think the ideas that have developed in philosophy (if that person has a good grasp on them)--may make a BETTER theoretical physicist.

More information is always good. Who knows, a physicist who also is an expert in surgery or food science or if we want abstract, say, music even, could use those things to help.

CaptainQuasar said:
Isn't that something that Einstein thought up after reading about how telegraphs worked in a children's book?

You're kind of reaching if you're going to include the daydreaming of teenagers. What you're basically doing is sweeping any kind of interesting or innovative thought up into philosophy. The fact that you picked Einstein makes it look even more like aggrandizement of philosophy by coveting prestige for it.

it was an example of an 'abstract thought' (see post)

dst said:
People may wish to see: http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0410/0410144.pdf

More information is always good. Who knows, a physicist who also is an expert in surgery or food science or if we want abstract, say, music even, could use those things to help.

27 pages--hmm-

-thanks

rewebster said:
it was an example of an 'abstract thought' (see post)

Oh, right, LightBulbSun was the one saying that all abstract thought is the domain of philosophy. Sorry.

rewebster said:

But how do you know this? This is in the same vein of what you said earlier that I claim to be speculative. All you have done here is make an assertion. I can also counter that with my own assertion - a physicist who already have a well-developed philosophy will be encumbered by it because he/she already has an a priori view of how the world should be. There! I don't need any evidence to support my assertion the same way that you offered none. As far as I can tell, I can make an equally convincing argument on my assertion.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But how do you know this? This is in the same vein of what you said earlier that I claim to be speculative. All you have done here is make an assertion. I can also counter that with my own assertion - a physicist who already have a well-developed philosophy will be encumbered by it because he/she already has an a priori view of how the world should be. There! I don't need any evidence to support my assertion the same way that you offered none. As far as I can tell, I can make an equally convincing argument on my assertion.

Zz.

well, not quite the same---you made assertions ('will be', 'would')--

---the remarks I made had a variable ('may' or 'I think'--an opinion)--leaving open possibilities

Anyway, you have your own philosophy concerning this philosophy, and this had been a nice philosophical discussion about the use of philosophy in the area of the need for philosophy in physics, don't you think?

rewebster said:
well, not quite the same---you made assertions ('will be', 'would')--

---the remarks I made had a variable ('may' or 'I think'--an opinion)--leaving open possibilities

It still doesn't change the fact that those statements was not accompanied by any evidence to show that they are valid. If we're just making things up, then what's the point in having any form of a rational conversation. I've proven that I too can come up with something equally plausible to counter your statement.

Zz.

so, what you're asking is, that, every written statement, such as this one, has to be accompanied by some kind of evidence to show that its valid?

(oh, never mind--that one, the above, was a question)

Last edited:
rewebster said:
so, what you're asking is, that, every written statement, such as this one, has to be accompanied by some kind of evidence to show that its valid?

If you want to convince me, yes.

That's why I don't pay attention to political speeches. They are long on making claims, but devoid of any evidence that such claims are valid. A lot of people seem to think (or seem to not care) that simply being able to say something and making some apparent connection, doesn't make it valid.

Zz.

Nusc said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics#_note-16

Says the following: Theoretical physics has historically rested on philosophy and metaphysics; electromagnetism was unified this way.[20]

Reference:

20 ^ See, for example, the influence of Kant and Ritter on Oersted.

Does anyone know of any specific articles of where this can be found. (I would have put a question mark but my keyboard is messed up)

From what I've read lately is that Ørsted was into Kant, the age of reasoning philosophy, and ---"The connection made sense to Ørsted since he believed in the unity of nature, and, therefore, that a relationship must exist between most natural phenomena."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Christian_Ørsted

Also:

"A thought experiment (from the German term Gedankenexperiment, coined by Hans Christian Ørsted) in the broadest sense is the use of a hypothetical scenario to help us understand the way things actually are."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_experiment

Another key word in the OP quote--'historically'

Then I'm surprised we're not talking about religion, folklore, mythology, etc. I mean, if we're going "historical", why not go all the way?

Zz.

I think that wiki page references some of those---(if you click on the right links--and then follow more links)---

Wiki=the whole world at your finger tips!

Last edited by a moderator:
rewebster said:
I think that wiki page references some of those---(if you click on the right links--and then follow more links)---

Wiki=the whole world at your finger tips!

Then it must be correct.

Zz.

I think somewhere in the Netherlands (or thereabouts), there's a "ZapperZ" electronic/computer related stuff. That's more hilarious than this.

Zz.

you could, and maybe should, always put a page on wiki to stop the confusion

(then, of course, all of us could edit it-- )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZapperZ[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay guys. I just found this thread. I forgotten I had posted it. However, I did not find an answer to my question. It seems as though the word 'philosophy' has spawned this vast debate which was completely useless to me and I'll refrain from using such a word in future posts.

Thanks for your concern anyway.

Nusc said:
Okay guys. I just found this thread. I forgotten I had posted it. However, I did not find an answer to my question. It seems as though the word 'philosophy' has spawned this vast debate which was completely useless to me and I'll refrain from using such a word in future posts.

Thanks for your concern anyway.

see post 53

I see. Thank you.