Union of a set and it's limit points

In summary, the instructor attempted to prove that the union of L(U) and U contains it's closure, and that the complement of the union of L(U) and U is open. However, he was never able to finish the proof.
powerovergame

Homework Statement

Prove that:
The union of a set U and the set of its limit points is the closure of U.

Homework Equations

Definitions:
Closure: The closure of U is the smallest closed set that contains U.
Limit points: if z is a limit point in U, then any open circle around z intersects U at points other than z.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to prove that:
The Closure is contained in the union of U and L(U), and
The union of L(U) and U contains it's closure.

However my instructor did something that I was never able to understand.
He first tried to prove that the union of U and L(U) is closed. To do so, he tries to prove it's complement is open. To prove its complement is open, he used contradiction:
This is where I really got lost. I think this is what he said:

Suppose it's complement of U is closed, then you can pick a point z (like on the boundary) on the complement of U, such that the any open disk around z will have to intersect U.

Now suppose the complement of L(U) is closed, then you can pick a point w (once again on the boundary of this set) that is in a open ball of z, and then any disk around w will have to intersect L(U). But if any of w's open disk must intersect L(U), then w is defined to be the limit point of L(U). This is a contradiction, as we let L(U) to be the set of all of its limit points, yet w is limit point of L(U) that is not in L(U).

The question is: While this does prove that the complement of L(U) is open, how does it prove the complement of the union of L(U) and U is open?

Of course this does not even finish the proof. In the second part of the proof the instructor attempted to prove that one of these two statements:
-The Closure is contained in the union of U and L(U), and
-The union of L(U) and U contains it's closure.
I listed them both because I can't remember which one he was trying to prove.

Any suggestions for the second part?

Thank you for reading this long thread.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Every element of the set U is the limit of some sequence in the set U, so you just need to show the limit of every sequence in U is in the closure, and that every point in the closure is the limit of a sequence in U.

For the first one, proof by contradiction would be my first attempt. Suppose a sequence in U had a limit not in the closure, and a contradiction will come very quickly.

For the second one, for every point in the closure of U, I would outline the construction of a sequence in U whose limit is that point.

In addition, regarding the following statements:
powerovergame said:
Suppose it's complement of U is closed, then you can pick a point z (like on the boundary) on the complement of U, such that the any open disk around z will have to intersect U.

Now suppose the complement of L(U) is closed, then you can pick a point w (once again on the boundary of this set) that is in a open ball of z, and then any disk around w will have to intersect L(U).
You need to be careful with language. A set can be neither open nor closed. Denote the union of U and L(U) by C. You want to show that Cc is open by contradiction; if it is not open it contains a point on the boundary but is not necessarily closed. Intuitively, your closed set contains all of its boundary, but a set that is not open just needs to contain some of its boundary (just one point will do). Continue the contradiction from here. By the way, this turns out to be equivalent to what I think GibZ is suggesting.

I have to confess that what you wrote confused me quite a bit. This is not a fact particular to metric spaces at all, so I'm just going to use open. Let me sketch a really quick proof, using your notation.

First, note that if V is an open set and [tex] V\cap U = \emptyset[/tex] then it is immediate that [tex] V\cap L(U) = \emptyset[/tex].

Suppose that [tex]x\notin \big(U\cup L(U)\big),[/tex] then (x is not a limit point of U, so by definition) there must be an open set [tex]V_x[/tex] such that
[tex]
x\in V_x,\; V_x\cap U = \emptyset
[/tex]
It must be the case that
[tex]
V_x\cap \big(U\cup L(U)\big) =\emptyset
[/tex]

This is enough to conclude that the complement of [tex]U\cup L(U)[/tex] is open. Does that help?

Related to Union of a set and it's limit points

1. What is the definition of the union of a set and its limit points?

The union of a set and its limit points is defined as the set that contains all the elements of the original set, as well as any limit points of the set. This means that the union includes all the points that are in the set and all the points that are near the set, but not necessarily in the set itself.

2. How is the union of a set and its limit points different from the closure of a set?

The closure of a set is defined as the smallest closed set that contains the original set, while the union of a set and its limit points includes all the points that are near the set, not just the smallest closed set. This means that the closure may not include all the limit points, while the union does.

3. What is the importance of the union of a set and its limit points in mathematical analysis?

The union of a set and its limit points is important in mathematical analysis because it helps us understand the behavior of a set as it approaches its limit points. It allows us to consider all the points near a set, rather than just the points in the set itself.

4. Can the union of a set and its limit points be equal to the set itself?

Yes, the union of a set and its limit points can be equal to the set itself. This happens when the set is already closed, meaning all its limit points are already included in the set. In this case, the union would not add any new elements to the set.

5. How is the union of a set and its limit points related to the concept of a cluster point?

The union of a set and its limit points is closely related to the concept of a cluster point. A cluster point is defined as a point that is approached by an infinite number of points in a set. The union of a set and its limit points includes all the cluster points, as well as any other limit points of the set.