Unique Factorization Domain? Nature of Q_Z[x] - 1

JohnIn summary, we discussed the nature of \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x] and the concept of irreducibility in this set. We also used the fact that a prime in \mathbb{Z} is also a prime in any ring that contains \mathbb{Z}. Using this, we showed that if p is a prime in \mathbb{Z}, then it is also a prime in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x]. We then applied this to prove that p is irreducible in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x]. For part (b), we used a similar approach and showed that if p and q are associates
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Unique Factorization Domain? Nature of Q_Z[x]

Let [TEX] \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x][/TEX] denote the set of polynomials with rational coefficients and integer constant terms.

(a) If p is prime in [TEX] \mathbb{Z} [/TEX], prove that the constant polynomial p is irreducible in [TEX] \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x][/TEX].

(b) If p and q are positive primes in [TEX] \mathbb{Z} [/TEX], prove that p and q are not associates in [TEX] \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x][/TEX]

I am unsure of my thinking on these problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding (a) I think the solution is as follows:

We need to show the p is irreducible in [TEX] \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x][/TEX]

That is if p = ab for [TEX] p, a, b \in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x] [/TEX] then at least one of a or b must be a unit

But then we must have p = 1.p = p.1 since p is a prime in [TEX] \mathbb{Z} [/TEX] - BUT is it prime in [TEX] \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x][/TEX] (can someone help here?)

But 1 is a unit in [TEX] \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x][/TEX] (and also in [TEX] \mathbb{Z} [/TEX]) - I have yet to properly establish this!)

Thus p is irreducible in [TEX] \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x][/TEX]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could someone please either confirm that my working is correct in (a) or let me know if my reasoning is incorrect or lacking in rigour.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help with the general approach for (b) would be appreciated

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Peter,

Your reasoning for (a) is correct. To show that p is a prime in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x], we can use the fact that if p is a prime in \mathbb{Z}, then it is also a prime in any ring that contains \mathbb{Z}, such as \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x]. This means that if p divides a product of elements in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x], then it must divide at least one of the elements in the product.

For (b), we can use a similar approach. Suppose p and q are associates in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x], which means that there exists a unit u in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x] such that p = uq. Since p and q are positive primes in \mathbb{Z}, this means that u must be a positive rational number. However, this contradicts the fact that p and q are both integers, and therefore cannot be associates in \mathbb{Q}_\mathbb{Z}[x].

Hope this helps!

FAQ: Unique Factorization Domain? Nature of Q_Z[x] - 1

1. What is a Unique Factorization Domain?

A Unique Factorization Domain (UFD) is a type of mathematical structure in abstract algebra where every element can be expressed as a unique product of irreducible elements, similar to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic for integers. In other words, it is a ring in which every nonzero element can be factored into a product of prime elements in only one way.

2. What is the nature of Q_Z[x] - 1 in a Unique Factorization Domain?

In a Unique Factorization Domain, the polynomial Q_Z[x] - 1 can be factored into a product of irreducible polynomials. This is because Q_Z[x] - 1 is a polynomial with coefficients in the rational integers (Z) and has a degree greater than 0, which guarantees its existence in a UFD.

3. How is a Unique Factorization Domain different from a Principal Ideal Domain?

While both a Unique Factorization Domain and a Principal Ideal Domain (PID) are types of mathematical structures in abstract algebra, a UFD is a specific type of PID in which every ideal can be generated by a single element. Additionally, in a UFD, every nonzero element can be factored into a unique product of irreducible elements, whereas in a PID, this factorization may not be unique.

4. How do I determine if a ring is a Unique Factorization Domain?

In order to determine if a ring is a Unique Factorization Domain, it must satisfy two conditions: every irreducible element is prime, and every nonzero element can be factored into a unique product of irreducible elements. These conditions can be checked by using the Euclidean algorithm and the division algorithm.

5. What are some examples of Unique Factorization Domains?

Some examples of Unique Factorization Domains include the ring of integers (Z), the ring of polynomials with coefficients in a field (such as Q or R), and the ring of Gaussian integers (numbers of the form a + bi, where a and b are integers and i is the imaginary unit). Other examples include the ring of polynomials with integer coefficients and the ring of algebraic integers (roots of monic polynomials with integer coefficients).