Unique Solution for Linear Algebra System with Nonsingular Matrix

In summary, for a system of two equations with two unknowns to have a unique solution, the number of equations must equal the number of unknowns and the system must be nonsingular (determinant must not equal zero). In the given system, the determinant is equal to zero when k = 9, making it impossible for the system to have a unique solution. Therefore, option (a) is incorrect. Option (b) states that the system will have a unique solution when k is any real number, but since k = 9 is a real number that does not satisfy the condition for a unique solution, this statement is incorrect as well. In conclusion, neither option (a) nor (b) is true for the given
emergentecon

Homework Statement

Consider the system:
(1) 6x + ky = 0
(2) 4x + 6y = 0

The system will have a unique solution when k is:
(a) equal to 9
(b) any real number

Which statements are true.

Homework Equations

(1) 6x + ky = 0
(2) 4x + 6y = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

If m=n (number of equations is equal to number of unknowns) and the matrix is nonsingular (the determinant does not equal zero), then the system has a unique solution in the n variables.

Here, the determinant (ad-bc) equals zero when k = 9.
9 is also a real number.

Therefore, neither (a) or (b) can be true.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emergentecon said:
and the matrix is nonsingular (the determinant does not equal zero), then the system has a unique solution in the n variables.
I think you've got this mixed up. If the matrix is nonsingular, then it has an inverse, right? so then would it make sense that there is a unique solution if the matrix has an inverse?

p.s. welcome to physicsforums :)

edit: hmm. actually, see what happens if you assume the matrix has an inverse. Is there a unique solution in that case? And then consider the other case, where k is any number. So, think of the two cases separately.

second edit: sorry If I'm being confusing. I'm going back on what I originally said. you did not have it mixed up.

Last edited:
Hold on, because I lost something here.
To have a unique solution, two conditions must be satisfied:
(1) m=n
which is true in my example

(2) system must be nonsingular (determinant must not equal zero / have an inverse).
this is only true when k does not equal 9 (when k=9, then ad-bc = 0)
9 is also a real number.

So technically the answer would be any real number, excluding 9.
Which means options A and B are both wrong.
IMO.
No?

Hehe, thank for the welcome, and the swift response!

hehe, sorry about my first post, I rushed to give an answer without properly thinking, which is usually a bad idea, as I'm sure you know.

OK, yes there needs to be m=n and determinant not equal zero for a unique solution. And in this case, for k=9, the determinant is zero. So can't have k=9, if you want unique solution. so a) is definitely incorrect. and b) ... well, you're right, b) looks to be incorrect too, since 9 is a real number.

edit: although, the phrase for b) is: "The system will have a unique solution when k is any real number" It feels like they are trying to say "the system will have a unique solution for some k, which is a real number". The second phrase would be correct. But since they have actually written the first phrase, I think you must take it literally, and so the phrase is incorrect.

edit again: I should probably say 'statement' instead of 'phrase', since I think 'statement' is the proper way to talk about a logical yes or no.

Last edited:
I wonder if you read or copied the problem correctly (or if it had been originally written correctly). If it had said "The system will not have a unique solution when" then the two options would make sense.

Likes 1 person
Yeah, question is written exactly as it is in my notes ;)

FAQ: Unique Solution for Linear Algebra System with Nonsingular Matrix

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is used to represent and solve systems of equations and model real-world problems.

2. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is used to solve optimization problems, analyze data, and make predictions.

3. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, vector spaces, and linear transformations. These concepts are used to represent and manipulate mathematical objects in a linear system.

4. How is linear algebra used in data analysis?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in data analysis. It is used to reduce the dimensionality of data, perform data transformations, and identify patterns and relationships in large datasets. It is also used in machine learning algorithms to make predictions and classify data.

5. What skills are needed to learn introductory linear algebra?

To learn introductory linear algebra, one should have a strong foundation in algebra and be comfortable with basic mathematical concepts such as equations, functions, and graphs. Additionally, a good understanding of geometry and matrix operations is helpful.