Unis to apply to in the US or Europe for PhD?

Lavi_Rhea_253
I want to pursue a PhD in physics in the US or Europe. I applied last year to a small number of unis and got rejected. Now I wanna expand my list. So, PLEASEEE share the list of unis you applied to! T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to put in more effort than "Pick one of 300 universities for me".

OP: Your question has no value. We need details of your background. And what universities did you apply to, and were rejected by?

fresh_42 said:
That's probably a conservative estimation.
Probably.

CrysPhys said:
Maybe not risky for the OP if they are from one of those countries. We know nothing about the OP at this point.
Even then, or especially then. An independent spirit is not particularly welcome there at the moment. And a conformist spirit is not a good basis for starting a doctoral project.

Likes fresh_42
Well, the OP did come back, but he didn't clarify anything. This may partially expalin why he didn't get in anywhere last cycle - a lack of follow-through. That's the kiss of death for a grad school candidate.

I can't think of anything that is more important: because if you don't follow through, that will drag down every other facet of your application.

Op you received valuable advise on your reddit post. The answer remains the same.

WWGD said:
Acme? Don't use marihuana in Moscow/Russia. Brittney/Brian didn't like the outcome , and no one will likely negotiate for your exchange. At least not unless/if, you become a top Physicist.
I don't know whether stating facts is already politics, so I just add three rulings on 3 Westerners these days: (6.5 , 16 , death). Definitely risky.

I like grumping and dumping about Russia as much as the next person, but the OP didn't say "Russia". Lots of countries on his list that aren't Russia. Maybe the OP could clarify. Or we could keep guessing.

Albania! Albania!
You border on the Adriatic.
Your land is mostly mountainous.
And your chief export is chrome.

Likes gwnorth and WWGD
Vanadium 50 said:
I like grumping and dumping about Russia as much as the next person, but the OP didn't say "Russia". Lots of countries on his list that aren't Russia. Maybe the OP could clarify. Or we could keep guessing.

Albania! Albania!
You border on the Adriatic.
Your land is mostly mountainous.
And your chief export is chrome.
Cheers ( The TV show)?

Yup.

You can hit "like" now. :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:
Yup.

You can hit "like" now. :smile:
I just hit " like " now, like, like now.

Last edited:
I assume there was a post from the OP that was retracted or deleted?

CrysPhys said:
No.

CrysPhys said:
No, Post #1 above is the OP's only post so far at PF. When V50 said that the OP had been back, he probably was just referring to the fact that the OP was last seen returning late last night (US time), which means they saw our replies. But they chose not to post anything to help guide this thread along, unfortunately...

(You can see when they returned by looking at their Profile page.)

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
No, Post #1 above is the OP's only post so far at PF. When V50 said that the OP had been back, he probably was just referring to the fact that the OP was last seen returning late last night (US time), which means they saw our replies. But they chose not to post anything to help guide this thread along, unfortunately...

(You can see when they returned by looking at their Profile page.)
Trouble with the Internet in Albania? Chrome will do that. So will Firefox, Bing.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
WWGD said:
Trouble with the Internet in Albania?
LOL, OP is not in Albania. (Only Mentors can see their location.)

berkeman said:
LOL, OP is not in Albania. (Only Mentors can see their location.)
See posts 12,13, 14. And like, V50s, 12.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
gwnorth said:
Op you received valuable advise on your reddit post
He also posted this on SE. Complete with the baby talk ("wanna" and "PLEASEEE" - do people really think writing like this will help them get into a doctoral program?). He didn't respond to any of these.

I am beginning to understand why he didn't get accepted anywhere.

Vanadium 50 said:
He also posted this on SE. Complete with the baby talk ("wanna" and "PLEASEEE")
In fairness, given his location and some language issues, "wanna" is used pretty often by this demographic group, unfortunately. The other imploring word, not so much.

He used "want to" as well. So he knows how to write correctly. He simply chooses not to.

Besides, how do you think a university will react to "I wanna go to your school because I wanna get a doctorate"? I've heard "I'll fix this for the application", but there are two problems. One is that it's effectively saying they will write properly to people they respect. People not you. The other is that it is not true that practice makes perfect. Practice makes permanent.

Likes berkeman