Unit Conversions: Calculate Time for a Snail to Travel 1.00km at 5.25cm/min

• Thread starter lettertwelve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the question asked for the time it would take for a snail traveling at an average speed of 5.25 cm/minute to travel a distance of 1.00km. Using the equation d=rt and converting units, the correct answer is 317.46 hours or approximately 13.23 days. The previous answer of 0.00315 hours was incorrect. It is important to check the reasonableness of each step in the solution in order to reach a correct final answer.
lettertwelve

Homework Statement

A snail travels on average 5.25 cm/minute. How many hours would it take to travel a distance of 1.00km?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

5.25cm/min X 60min/hr X 1m/100cm X 1km/1000m

cm, min, and m cancel out and the answer ends up to be .00315

correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
correct

tater08 said:
correct

are you more than 100% sure :P

do you have time to check 2 more for me??

your reasoning is correct as well and I am more than 100 percent certain

tater08 said:
your reasoning is correct as well and I am more than 100 percent certain

what about this one:

solid copper has a density of 8.92 g/mL. How many cm^3 does 0.75 lbs occupy?

i did: 8.92g/mL X 1000mL/cm^3 X 1lb/453.59237g

i'm missing something i believe, but i don't know what, and how accurate is my lb/g part, as well as where do i put the 0.75lb? if you could turn me in the right direction..

lettertwelve said:
what about this one:

solid copper has a density of 8.92 g/mL. How many cm^3 does 0.75 lbs occupy?

i did: 8.92g/mL X 1000mL/cm^3 X 1lb/453.59237g

i'm missing something i believe, but i don't know what, and how accurate is my lb/g part, as well as where do i put the 0.75lb? if you could turn me in the right direction..

After you cancel out your units what are you left with? That would suggest what you need to do to get an answer in the desired form.

LowlyPion said:
After you cancel out your units what are you left with? That would suggest what you need to do to get an answer in the desired form.

i believe i should only be left with lbs, but then i can't begin to figure out how i'd get rid of the cm^3

lettertwelve said:

Homework Statement

A snail travels on average 5.25 cm/minute. How many hours would it take to travel a distance of 1.00km?

Homework Equations

none

correct??
Hold on here. What are the units of 0.00315? If it's hrs, then that is one fast snail.

In the question, one is given speed and distance, and there is a relevant equation that gives time (duration) in terms of distance and speed (assume constant speed).

However in the solution given, one has multiplied speed by ratios of time and distance, and so the units would be for speed, which cannot be correct.

Please write an expression for time in terms of distance and speed, and then apply the appropriate ratios.

lettertwelve said:
i believe i should only be left with lbs, but then i can't begin to figure out how i'd get rid of the cm^3

You were developing the units of a constant for converting. What is the statement of that constant after you do all that and cancel out your units?

The question is asking you how many cm3 is in .75 lb.

Use your new constant to convert it then at that point.

Wouldn't you start the equation with the 1.00km instead of the 5.25cm/min and use that as a conversion factor.

So it would be something like this:

?hrs=1.00km(10^3m/1km)(1cm/10^-2m)(5.25cm/1min)(60min/1hr)

Which would equal 31500000 and since you have to use sig figs it would be 3.15 x 10^7 hr

Correct me if I'm wrong.

lettertwelve said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

none

correct??

No.

CS

Cloudens said:
Wouldn't you start the equation with the 1.00km instead of the 5.25cm/min and use that as a conversion factor.

Which would equal 31500000 and since you have to use sig figs it would be 3.15 x 10^7 hr

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Start off using the simple relationship d = rt, then solve for t.

t = d/r

Then it is just a matter of dimensional analysis.

CS

Cloudens said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It won't live long enough.

Think about what the numbers mean.

5.25 cm/min is what in 1 hr? 60 times that? making it 315 cm in an hour?

That's what 3.15 m/hr?

Now if I have to go 1000 of those how fast can Slugo do it?

Won't that be 1000m/3.15 m/hr? Doesn't that yield hours?

2 weeks? He might make it back home in time to see the wife in her new shell.

317 hours, so 13.23 days.

Like LowlyPion wrote... 5.25cm/min >> 315 cm/hour >> 3.15m/hour >> 0.31746 hr/m *(1000m) >> 317.46 hrs

lukas86 said:
317 hours, so 13.23 days.

Like LowlyPion wrote... 5.25cm/min >> 315 cm/hour >> 3.15m/hour >> 0.31746 hr/m *(1000m) >> 317.46 hrs

I think my point was to look at the conversions in steps to insure that each step meets a reasonableness test. If you are taking reasonable steps along the way, then maybe you will reach a reasonable result?
107 hours was simply not a reasonable answer.
That should have triggered your suspicions.
(How many years is 107 hours you think? We should all live so long?)

Related to Unit Conversions: Calculate Time for a Snail to Travel 1.00km at 5.25cm/min

What is a unit conversion?

A unit conversion is the process of converting a quantity from one unit of measurement to another. This is done by using conversion factors, which relate the two units of measurement.

Why are unit conversions important?

Unit conversions are important because they allow us to compare and understand quantities that are measured in different units. They are also essential for accurate calculations and data analysis in various fields of science.

How do I perform a unit conversion?

To perform a unit conversion, you need to first identify the units you are starting with and the units you want to convert to. Then, use a conversion factor to convert from one unit to the other. This can be done by multiplying or dividing the original value by the conversion factor.

What are some common units of measurement used in unit conversions?

Some common units of measurement used in unit conversions include meters, feet, grams, pounds, liters, gallons, seconds, minutes, and hours. The specific units used will depend on the quantity being measured.

How can I check if my unit conversion is correct?

You can check if your unit conversion is correct by using the dimensional analysis method. This involves making sure that the units cancel out correctly and the resulting value has the correct units. You can also use an online unit conversion calculator or ask a colleague to double-check your calculation.