Unit Speed Curves: Showing Frenet Frames Agree at s

In summary: The point is the dot product is ONLY 1 if they are parallel, otherwise it's less. You have three of them summing to 3. So?Since they sum to 3 they are parallel hence their dot product equals 1.
Lee33

Homework Statement

Let ##\alpha(s)## and ##\beta(s)## be two unit speed curves and assume that ##\kappa_{\alpha}(s)=\kappa_{\beta}(s)## and ##\tau_{\alpha}(s)=\tau_{\beta}(s)##, where ##\kappa## and ##\tau## are respectively the curvature and torsion. Let ##J(s) = T_{\alpha}(s)\dot\ T_{\beta}(s)+N_{\alpha}(s) \dot\ N_{\beta}(s) +B_{\alpha}(s) \dot\ B_{\beta}(s).##

Show that:

##J(0)=3## and ##J(s)=3## implies that the Frenet frames of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## agree at ##s##

##J'(s) = 0## and ##\alpha(s) = \beta(s)## for all ##s##.

Homework Equations

Frenet frames

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I know that the Frenet frame vectors $T,B,N$ are unit vectors but how can I formally prove the given statement?

I know for the second statement that ##J'(s) = 0## everywhere implies that the Frenet frames agree and since ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are unit speed, they are equal to the integral of their tangent vector. Also, how can I formally prove this second part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##\alpha(s)## and ##\beta(s)## be two unit speed curves and assume that ##\kappa_{\alpha}(s)=\kappa_{\beta}(s)## and ##\tau_{\alpha}(s)=\tau_{\beta}(s)##, where ##\kappa## and ##\tau## are respectively the curvature and torsion. Let ##J(s) = T_{\alpha}(s)\dot\ T_{\beta}(s)+N_{\alpha}(s) \dot\ N_{\beta}(s) +B_{\alpha}(s) \dot\ B_{\beta}(s).##

Show that:

##J(0)=3## and ##J(s)=3## implies that the Frenet frames of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## agree at ##s##

##J'(s) = 0## and ##\alpha(s) = \beta(s)## for all ##s##.

Homework Equations

Frenet frames

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I know that the Frenet frame vectors $T,B,N$ are unit vectors but how can I formally prove the given statement?

I know for the second statement that ##J'(s) = 0## everywhere implies that the Frenet frames agree and since ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are unit speed, they are equal to the integral of their tangent vector. Also, how can I formally prove this second part?

For any two vectors v.w=|v||w|cos(θ). If v and w are unit vectors then that's less than one unless the vectors are parallel. So?

Last edited:
Dick -

If they are unit vectors and are parallel then there dot product is 1.

Lee33 said:
Dick -

If they are unit vectors and are parallel then there dot product is 1.

The point is the dot product is ONLY 1 if they are parallel, otherwise it's less. You have three of them summing to 3. So?

Since they sum to 3 they are parallel hence their dot product equals 1.

Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Lee33 said:
Since they sum to 3 they are parallel hence their dot product equals 1.

Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

No, I think it's really that simple.

Thanks Dick!

For D(s), is it essentially the same thing?

Lee33 said:
Thanks Dick!

For D(s), is it essentially the same thing?

What's D(s)? Look, if J(s)=3 then all three Frenet frame vectors must be equal in ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, yes? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Opps, I meant J(s), sorry about that. But yes they will be equal, thanks again!

FAQ: Unit Speed Curves: Showing Frenet Frames Agree at s

1. What are unit speed curves?

Unit speed curves are curves in which the tangent vector at any point has a magnitude of 1. This means that the curve is parametrized by arc length, making it easier to analyze and compare with other curves.

2. Why is it important for Frenet frames to agree at s?

Frenet frames are used to describe the behavior of a curve in terms of its curvature and torsion. When Frenet frames agree at s, it means that the curvature and torsion of the curve are consistent at that point, allowing for a more accurate understanding of the curve's behavior.

3. How are Frenet frames calculated?

Frenet frames are calculated using the unit tangent, normal, and binormal vectors, which are derived from the first and second derivatives of the curve. These vectors form an orthonormal basis that describes the orientation of the curve at any given point.

4. Can unit speed curves have varying curvatures and torsion?

Yes, unit speed curves can have varying curvatures and torsion. In fact, the curvature and torsion of a curve can change at different points along the curve, which is why it is important for Frenet frames to agree at s.

5. How are unit speed curves used in real-world applications?

Unit speed curves are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They provide a more accurate representation of curves and can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the motion of objects or the shape of surfaces.

Back