Units in the Navier-Stokes equation

In summary, the Navier-Stokes equation involves the velocity vector u(x,t), viscosity \nu, pressure p, and an externally applied force f_i(x,t). The units for f_i(x,t) are either (kg m/s) or force per unit volume (kg/(s^{2} m^{2})). The units for \nu are (Pascal s), which results in units of kg/(s^{2} m^{2}) for \nu \Delta u_i. On the left side of the equation, the units for \frac{\partial}{\partial t}u_i and \sum_{j=1}^n u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j} are (m
ailchenko23
First post; I am starting to read the official problem description of the http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Navier-Stokes_Equations/navierstokes.pdf" and am having trouble understanding the units involved in the first equation :rolleyes:
The equation, verbatim, is
\begin{equation}
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}u_i + \sum_{j=1}^n u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}
= \nu \Delta u_i - \frac{\partial p}{\partial x_i} + f_i(x,t) ,
\end{equation}
where [itex]u[/itex] is [itex]u(x,t)[/itex], the velocity vector, [itex]\nu[/itex] is the viscosity, [itex]p[/itex] is the pressure, and [itex]f_i(x,t)[/itex] are the components of a given, externally applied force. So, from right to left: I expect the units for [itex]f_i(x,t)[/itex] to be (kg m/s), however, I would also accept force per unit volume, kg/(s[itex]^{2}[/itex] m[itex]^{2}[/itex]). Units for [itex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial x_i}[/itex] are kg/(s[itex]^{2}[/itex] m[itex]^{2}[/itex]). Units for [itex]\nu[/itex] are (Pascal s), so units for [itex]\nu \Delta u_i[/itex] are, again, kg/(s[itex]^{2}[/itex] m[itex]^{2}[/itex]). Then, on the left side, unit for [itex]\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}[/itex] is (1/s); so, [itex]\sum_{j=1}^n u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}[/itex] is expressed in (m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]) as is [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}u_i[/itex]. My question is why do we have units of force per unit volume on the right side and only units for acceleration on the left side? Is there some understood conversion factor implicit in the equation? What is the advantage, if any, in using force per unit volume instead of simply force?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest with you, I think he's missing a term on the right side. It should read:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \sum_{j=1}^n u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j} = \nu \Delta u_i - \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial p}{\partial x} + f_i (x,t)[/tex]

I say this because the Navier-Stokes equation I remember from fluid dynamics are:

[tex] \rho \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + u \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + w \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \right) = - \frac{\partial p}{\partial x} + \rho g_x + \mu \left( \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial z^2} \right)[/tex]
[tex] \rho \left( \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} + u \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} + w \frac{\partial v}{\partial z} \right) = - \frac{\partial p}{\partial y} + \rho g_y + \mu \left( \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial z^2} \right)[/tex]
[tex] \rho \left( \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} + u \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial w}{\partial y} + w \frac{\partial w}{\partial z} \right) = - \frac{\partial p}{\partial z} + \rho g_z + \mu \left( \frac{\partial^2 w}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 w}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 w}{\partial z^2} \right)[/tex]

To answer the question, your unit assumptions are a bit off. [tex]\nu[/tex] has units of [tex]m^2/s[/tex] because [tex]\nu = \frac{\mu}{\rho}[/tex] and in this case, [tex]f_i (x,t)[/tex] is just the gravity term in the ith direction. You can rearrange my version of Navier-Stokes to get the equation the paper gave if you just include the [tex]\frac{1}{\rho}[/tex] in the pressure term. Using the proper units for everything, you'll get units of acceleration across the board.

I don't think that the missing term changes any of the conclusions in the paper, though.

Related to Units in the Navier-Stokes equation

1. What are the units of velocity in the Navier-Stokes equation?

The units of velocity in the Navier-Stokes equation are typically expressed as meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s) in the SI system, or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

2. What are the units of pressure in the Navier-Stokes equation?

The units of pressure in the Navier-Stokes equation are typically expressed as Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²) in the SI system, or pounds per square inch (psi) in the imperial system.

3. What are the units of density in the Navier-Stokes equation?

The units of density in the Navier-Stokes equation are typically expressed as kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³) in the SI system, or pounds per cubic foot (lb/ft³) in the imperial system.

4. What are the units of viscosity in the Navier-Stokes equation?

The units of viscosity in the Navier-Stokes equation are typically expressed as Newton seconds per square meter (N·s/m²) in the SI system, or pounds seconds per square foot (lb·s/ft²) in the imperial system.

5. How do the units in the Navier-Stokes equation affect the overall solution?

The units in the Navier-Stokes equation are crucial to the overall solution as they determine the physical quantities that are being calculated. Any inconsistencies in units can lead to incorrect results or simulations that do not accurately represent real-world scenarios.