Units of constants in transfer functions?

In summary: So ##G(s)## would have units of radians/second, just like ##H(s)## would have units of hertz, despite the fact that ##G(s)## is the gain (a ratio) and ##H(s)## is the transfer function (a function).Hi MisterX
Excom
Hi All

Probably a very basic question.

What are the units of the constants in transfer functions?

It we take a look at the transfer function of a second order system we then have:

H(s) = ω02/(s2+2ζω0s+ω02)

ω0 is the natural resonance frequency and has a unit of rad/sec. ζ is the damping and has no unit. Hence everything ends up being without an unit if s also has the unit rad/sec. So for so good.

If we now look at the transfer function for a first order response:

H(s) = a/(s+a)

where a = 1/τ, where τ is the time constant. The unit of τ is sec. Assuming again that the unit of s is rad/sec, a/(s+a) is not without a unit.

When looking at more complex transfer functions the units become more confusion to me.

I am most likely missing a small detail. However, I will be very grateful if someone can tell me what I am missing.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Remember the definition of the transfer function
$$ H(s) = \frac{Y(s)}{X(s)} $$
It will always have units
$$ \frac{\text{units of }Y(s)}{\text{units of }X(s)} $$
If ##X(s)## and ##Y(s)## (or ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## ) have the same units, the transfer function is unit-less.
I am not sure exactly where your confusion lies.
$$Y(s) \propto \int y(t) e^{-st}\,dt$$
##Y(s) ## should then have units $$\text{units of }Y(s) = \text{units of }y(t) * \text{ time}. $$

Hi MisterX

Thanks for your reply.

I do understand that the input and output of a system often have units. However, from your definition of the transfer function above you can rewrite like this: H(s)=K⋅G(s) Where K is the gain and has some units that are specifik to the system of interest.

We are then back to the situation where the transfer function, without the gain, of a first order system is: G(s) = a/(s+a) And we have a = 1/τ, where τ is the time constant. The unit of τ is sec. Assuming that the unit of s is rad/sec, we have (1/sec)/(rad/sec+1/sec) which does't make any sense to me.

Excom said:
Hi MisterX

Thanks for your reply.

I do understand that the input and output of a system often have units. However, from your definition of the transfer function above you can rewrite like this: H(s)=K⋅G(s) Where K is the gain and has some units that are specifik to the system of interest.

We are then back to the situation where the transfer function, without the gain, of a first order system is: G(s) = a/(s+a) And we have a = 1/τ, where τ is the time constant. The unit of τ is sec. Assuming that the unit of s is rad/sec, we have (1/sec)/(rad/sec+1/sec) which does't make any sense to me.
Yes your confusion comes from the fact that radians aren't a unit. Consider the relation between arc length and radius
$$S = \theta R $$
Both arc length ##S## and radius ##R## are lengths, measured in meters for example, and so ##\theta## in radians is unitless. Radians/second is the same unit as ##1/second##

Likes anorlunda

Related to Units of constants in transfer functions?

1. What are the units of constants in transfer functions?

The units of constants in transfer functions depend on the type of constant and the specific transfer function being used. Some common units include seconds (s), Hertz (Hz), decibels (dB), and radians per second (rad/s).

2. How do units of constants affect the transfer function?

The units of constants in a transfer function can affect the scaling and interpretation of the output. For example, a constant with units of time (s) may cause a delay in the output signal, while a constant with units of frequency (Hz) may change the frequency response of the system.

3. Can units of constants be converted?

Yes, units of constants can be converted using conversion factors or equations. It is important to ensure that the units are consistent throughout the transfer function to avoid errors in the analysis or interpretation of the output.

4. How do units of constants differ between analog and digital systems?

In analog systems, the units of constants are typically continuous and represent physical quantities such as time or frequency. In digital systems, the units may be discrete and represent the number of samples or bits. This can affect the accuracy and precision of the transfer function.

5. Are there any standard units for constants in transfer functions?

There are no universal standard units for constants in transfer functions. However, certain fields or industries may have their own conventions for units in specific types of transfer functions. It is always important to check the units and make sure they are appropriate for the specific system being analyzed.