Units of the Gaussian Integers, Z[i]

In summary, the conversation discusses Exercise 6.1.1 in John Stillwell's book Elements of Number Theory, which involves showing that the units of the Gaussian integers are \pm 1 and \pm i. The approach used is to demonstrate that if (a_1 + b_1 i) is a unit, then (a_2 + b_2 i) must also be a unit, and that the only solutions to this equation are (\pm 1, 0) and (0, \pm 1). This means that the only units in the Gaussian integers are \pm 1 and \pm i. The conversation ends with a discussion about the importance of understanding isomorphism rather than just finding a solution
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In John Stillwell's book: Elements of Number Theory, Chapter 6 concerns the Gaussian integers, \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} = \{ a + bi \ | \ a, b \in \mathbb{Z} \}\).

Exercise 6.1.1 reads as follows:

------------------------------------------------

"Show that the units of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \) are \(\displaystyle \ \pm 1, \ \pm i \ \)."

------------------------------------------------

Now an element \(\displaystyle a\) of a ring or integral domain such as \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \) is a unit if there exists an element \(\displaystyle b\) in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \) such that \(\displaystyle ab = ba = 1\).

So, then ... it is easy to demonstrate that \(\displaystyle \ \pm 1, \ \pm i \ \) are units of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \) ... ... BUT ... ... how do we rigorously demonstrate that they are the only units ... ... presumably we proceed as follows:\(\displaystyle (a_1 + b_1 i)\) is a unit of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \) if there exists an element \(\displaystyle (a_2 + b_2 i)\) such that:

\(\displaystyle (a_1 + b_1 i) (a_2 + b_2 i) = (a_2 + b_2 i) (a_1 + b_1 i) = 1 = 1 + 0 i \) ... ... in which case, of course, ... ...

... \(\displaystyle (a_2 + b_2 i)\) is also a unit ... ...So, I think, it follows that if we obtain all the solutions to the equation

\(\displaystyle (a_1 + b_1 i) (a_2 + b_2 i) = 1\)

we will have all the units ... and further will have demonstrated that they are the only units ... ...

Now ... ...

\(\displaystyle (a_1 + b_1 i) (a_2 + b_2 i) = 1 = 1 + 0 i \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \ \ (a_1a_2 - b_1b_2) + (a_1b_2 + a_2b_1) i = 1 + 0 i
\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \ \ a_1a_2 - b_1b_2 = 1 \ \) and \(\displaystyle \ a_1b_2 + a_2b_1 = 0\)

... ... ?BUT ... where to from here ...

Can someone please help with this exercise by showing how to complete my approach ... OR ... by critiquing my approach and showing a better approach ...

Peter

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take the sum of the squares of the last two equations to get

\(\displaystyle (a_1 a_2 - b_1 b_2)^2 + (a_1 b_2 + a_2 b_1)^2 = 1.\)

Expanding the left hand side yields the expression

\(\displaystyle a_1^2 a_2^2 + b_1^2 b_2^2 + a_1^2 b_2^2 + a_2^2 b_1^2,\)

which factors as

\(\displaystyle (a_1^2 + b_1^2)(a_2^2 + b_2^2).\)

Thus $(a_1^2 + b_1^2)(a_2^2 + b_2^2) = 1$. Since $a_1^2 + b_1^2$ and $a_2^2 + b_2^2$ are non-negative integers, the latter equation implies that $a_1^2 + b_1^2 = 1 = a_2^2 + b_2^2$. In particular, none of $a_1, a_2, b_1$ or $b_2$ can be greater than $1$. Hence, the only solutions for the pairs $(a_1, b_1)$ and $(a_2, b_2)$ are $(\pm 1, 0)$ and $(0, \pm 1)$. What does this mean for $\Bbb Z$?

Euge said:
Take the sum of the squares of the last two equations to get

\(\displaystyle (a_1 a_2 - b_1 b_2)^2 + (a_1 b_2 + a_2 b_1)^2 = 1.\)

Expanding the left hand side yields the expression

\(\displaystyle a_1^2 a_2^2 + b_1^2 b_2^2 + a_1^2 b_2^2 + a_2^2 b_1^2,\)

which factors as

\(\displaystyle (a_1^2 + b_1^2)(a_2^2 + b_2^2).\)

Thus $(a_1^2 + b_1^2)(a_2^2 + b_2^2) = 1$. Since $a_1^2 + b_1^2$ and $a_2^2 + b_2^2$ are non-negative integers, the latter equation implies that $a_1^2 + b_1^2 = 1 = a_2^2 + b_2^2$. In particular, none of $a_1, a_2, b_1$ or $b_2$ can be greater than $1$. Hence, the only solutions for the pairs $(a_1, b_1)$ and $(a_2, b_2)$ are $(\pm 1, 0)$ and $(0, \pm 1)$. What does this mean for $\Bbb Z$?

Thanks for the help Euge ...

You ask:

"Hence, the only solutions for the pairs $(a_1, b_1)$ and $(a_2, b_2)$ are $(\pm 1, 0)$ and $(0, \pm 1)$. What does this mean for $\Bbb Z$?"

Since \(\displaystyle (a_1, b_1) = (a_1 + b_1 i)\) ... ...

... the solution \(\displaystyle (a_1, b_1) = (\pm 1, 0)\) ..

... means that elements \(\displaystyle \pm 1 = \pm 1 + 0\) are units of $\Bbb Z$ ...while, in the other case ...

Since \(\displaystyle (a_2, b_2) = (a_2 + b_2 i)\) ... ...

... the solution \(\displaystyle (a_2, b_2) = (0, \pm 1)\) ..

... means that elements \(\displaystyle \pm i = 0 + \pm i \) are units of $\Bbb Z$ ...

Is that the interpretation you were looking for?
Thanks once again for your help!

Peter

Peter said:

You ask:

"Hence, the only solutions for the pairs $(a_1, b_1)$ and $(a_2, b_2)$ are $(\pm 1, 0)$ and $(0, \pm 1)$. What does this mean for $\Bbb Z$?"

Since \(\displaystyle (a_1, b_1) = (a_1 + b_1 i)\) ... ...

... the solution \(\displaystyle (a_1, b_1) = (\pm 1, 0)\) ..

... means that elements \(\displaystyle \pm 1 = \pm 1 + 0\) are units of $\Bbb Z$ ...while, in the other case ...

Since \(\displaystyle (a_2, b_2) = (a_2 + b_2 i)\) ... ...

... the solution \(\displaystyle (a_2, b_2) = (0, \pm 1)\) ..

... means that elements \(\displaystyle \pm i = 0 + \pm i \) are units of $\Bbb Z$ ...

Is that the interpretation you were looking for?
Thanks once again for your help!

Peter

Well, not exactly. The pair $(a_1, b_1)$ is not equal to $a_1 + ib_1$, but corresponds to $a_1 + ib_1$. Likewise $(a_2,b_2)$ is not equal to $a_2 + ib_2$, but corresponds to $a_2 + ib_2$. So $(\pm 1, 0)$ corresponds to $\pm 1$ and $(0, \pm 1)$ corresponds to $\pm i$. The possible units in $\Bbb Z$ are therefore $\pm 1$ and $\pm i$. You've shown that $\pm 1$ and $\pm i$ are in fact units in $\Bbb Z$. Hence, these are the only units in $\Bbb Z$.

Euge said:
Well, not exactly. The pair $(a_1, b_1)$ is not equal to $a_1 + ib_1$, but corresponds to $a_1 + ib_1$. Likewise $(a_2,b_2)$ is not equal to $a_2 + ib_2$, but corresponds to $a_2 + ib_2$. So $(\pm 1, 0)$ corresponds to $\pm 1$ and $(0, \pm 1)$ corresponds to $\pm i$. The possible units in $\Bbb Z$ are therefore $\pm 1$ and $\pm i$. You've shown that $\pm 1$ and $\pm i$ are in fact units in $\Bbb Z$. Hence, these are the only units in $\Bbb Z$.

Late here in Tasmania now ... will work through your post in the morning ...

Peter

Peter said:

Late here in Tasmania now ... will work through your post in the morning ...

Peter

OK I think I understand ... we are dealing with an isomorphism, not an equality ...

Thank you for that, Euge ... these points are VERY important to me as I wish to gain an understanding of the mathematics involved ... not just get a 'solution' to an exercise ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Units of the Gaussian Integers, Z[i]

1. What are units in the Gaussian Integers, Z[i]?

Units in the Gaussian Integers, Z[i], are elements that have multiplicative inverses. In other words, for a given unit, there exists another unit that when multiplied together will equal 1. In the case of Z[i], the units are 1, -1, i, and -i.

2. How are units represented in Z[i]?

In Z[i], units are represented by the letters u and v. The general form for a unit in Z[i] is u + vi, where u and v are integers. For example, 2 + 3i is a unit in Z[i].

3. What is the norm of a unit in Z[i]?

The norm of a unit in Z[i] is defined as the product of the unit and its conjugate. In other words, if a unit is represented as u + vi, then its norm would be (u + vi)(u - vi) = u^2 + v^2. This means that the norm of a unit in Z[i] is always a positive integer.

4. Can non-units have a norm of 1 in Z[i]?

No, non-units cannot have a norm of 1 in Z[i]. This is because the norm of a non-unit in Z[i] will always be a positive integer greater than 1. Only units have a norm of 1.

5. How are units used in solving equations in Z[i]?

Units play a crucial role in solving equations in Z[i]. They can be used to simplify complex numbers and can also be used to find solutions for equations involving Gaussian integers. For example, the units -1 and i are often used to simplify expressions in Z[i] by factoring out these units.