Units regarding a photoelectric question

In summary, when light with a wavelength of lambda = 628 nm is used, electrons are ejected from a metal surface with speeds ranging up to 4.71×105 m/s. The work function (in eV) of the surface is supposed to be in this equation, but I am not getting the right answer. To see if I am doing something wrong, I got Kinetic energy=1.010485755x10^-19, and hf=-2.5999x10^-21. I tried it myself, maybe I am screwing up the units. Thanks.
bemigh
Alright, let's be real here

Electrons are ejected from a metal surface with speeds ranging up to 4.71×105 m/s when light with a wavelength of lambda = 628 nm is used. What is the work function (in eV) of the surface?

Alright, money, using the formula: Max Kinetic energy = hf - Eo
where Eo is the work function. You have all the givens, the answer is supposed to be in eV. Now, I am not sure what's happening, but I am not geting the right answer. To see if I am doing something wrong, i got Kinetic energy=1.010485755x10^-19, and hf=-2.5999x10^-21
try it yourself, maybe I am screwing up the units
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know how you got your kinetic energy but use this formula

[tex] \Phi = \frac{1}{e} (\frac{hc}{\lambda} - m_{e} c^2 (\gamma - 1}}))[/tex]

i turst you know what the formulas are about. The 1/e factor is to convert to electron volts.

units

Hey brah, that's cool, I am also from Toronto, well, I am in Hamilton right now..
Anyways, I am not famaliar with the formula, what am i solving for, the work function? and what is the greek symbol in the brackets at the the end?
Cheers

yes i simply used a different symbol for work function

the Phi in the beginning represents the work function and
[tex] \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

Max kinetic energy = hc/lambda - Eo that's right and Eo represents the work function

the kinetic energy of the electron is going to be so great (maybe) that you'll have to use the relativistic formula, else you can use the 1/2 mv^2 ither way you get the same answer. mc^2(gamma -1) is equivalent (for low speeds v<<c) to 1/2 mv^2.

But I am babbling, if you want to convert to electron volts just do this, solve it like you normally would, keep all units in metric SI units and only after you're done then divide by the elctron change of 1.6 x 10^-19 C

nevermind, got it chief, thanks

There's no need for the relativistic formula,simply because the electron's speed is roughly [tex] 1.5 \cdot 10^{-3}c [/tex],so you can use the Newtonian dynamics without any problem...

Daniel.

Related to Units regarding a photoelectric question

1. What is the unit of measurement for energy in photoelectric questions?

The unit of measurement for energy in photoelectric questions is the electron volt (eV). One electron volt is equal to the amount of energy gained by an electron passing through a potential difference of one volt.

2. What is the unit of measurement for frequency in photoelectric questions?

The unit of measurement for frequency in photoelectric questions is hertz (Hz). One hertz is equal to one cycle per second.

3. What is the unit of measurement for wavelength in photoelectric questions?

The unit of measurement for wavelength in photoelectric questions is meters (m). This is the standard unit for measuring length or distance and is used to describe the distance between two peaks or troughs in a wave.

4. Is there a specific unit for work function in photoelectric questions?

Yes, the unit of measurement for work function in photoelectric questions is also electron volts (eV). It represents the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a material's surface.

5. What are the common units for intensity in photoelectric questions?

The common units for intensity in photoelectric questions are watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). Intensity measures the power per unit area and is often used to describe the energy of a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation.