Unity Gain Buffer: Why R1 Must be Infinity

In summary, the textbooks explain that a unity gain buffer can be created from a non-inverting amplifier by setting R2 = 0 and R1 = infinity. This is a practical consideration to avoid using an unnecessary resistor. In reality, R1 is not actually used in the circuit and is set to infinity in calculations. This is also why 0 ohm resistors exist, which are sometimes used as jumpers on circuit boards. They are the same package as regular resistors and are used for simplicity in manufacturing.
seang
all of the electronics textbooks say that you can make a unity gain buffer out of a non inverting amplifier by making R2 = 0 and R1 = infinity. Why does R1 have to be infinite? The TF for a non inverting amp is 1 + r2/r1, so as long as r2 = 0, and R1 should make a unity gain buffer, right?

Is this just a practical consideration, IE why waste a resistor, if you don't need it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't actaully use r1 or (r2) in an actual unity gain circuit you just connect Vout to -ve in.
It is set to infinity in the maths just so you don't have to consider the potential divider, you can't really of course have an infinite resistance just like you can't have r2=0.

They do have 0 Ohm resistors. Why? I don't know.

Corneo said:
They do have 0 Ohm resistors. Why? I don't know.
A few reasons,
Sometimes you need to connect a link on some versions of a board, you would normally just use a link but for surface mount the pick-place machines can handle resistors. Alternatively they are useful for confusing students!

mgb_phys said:
A few reasons,
Sometimes you need to connect a link on some versions of a board, you would normally just use a link but for surface mount the pick-place machines can handle resistors.

I always called these jumpers!

stewartcs said:
I always called these jumpers!
On surface mount they are the same package as resistors and called 0 ohm.
I assume because it simplifies the pick-system rather than having a separate class of jumper parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Opampvoltagefollower.svg" the usual configuration on wiki (inverting)

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Unity Gain Buffer: Why R1 Must be Infinity

1. What is a Unity Gain Buffer?

A Unity Gain Buffer, also known as a voltage follower, is a type of op-amp circuit that has a gain of 1. This means that the output voltage is exactly equal to the input voltage, making it act as a buffer between the input and output signals.

2. Why is R1 required to be infinity?

R1, or the feedback resistor, is required to be infinity in order to achieve a gain of 1 in the Unity Gain Buffer circuit. This is because infinity resistance in the feedback loop creates a virtual short circuit, allowing the output voltage to be equal to the input voltage.

3. What happens if R1 is not infinity?

If R1 is not infinity, the gain of the circuit will be different than 1. This means that the output voltage will not be equal to the input voltage, and the circuit will not act as a Unity Gain Buffer.

4. Can R1 ever be exactly infinity?

No, R1 can never be exactly infinity in a physical circuit. However, a very high resistance value can be used, such as in the megaohm range, to effectively create a virtual short circuit and achieve a gain of 1.

5. What are the practical applications of a Unity Gain Buffer?

A Unity Gain Buffer is commonly used in electronic circuits to isolate components, prevent loading effects, and to provide impedance matching. It is also often used as a buffer between stages of a circuit to prevent signal degradation.