Universal gravitation and inclines

In summary, the inclined plane has a frictional coefficient of 0. The distance between the two masses is 11mm and the angle of inclination is unknown. Normally, the net force between the masses would have to equal 0 in order for the box to slide down. However, because of the law of universal gravitation, the gravitational force between the masses is equal to the sum of the forces, which is 0.
AdnamaLeigh
There's an inclined plane with theta unknown. The frictional coefficient is 0. m1 is higher on the inclined plane than m2.

m1 = 1680kg
m2 = 152kg
Distance between the two: 11mm

At what angle of inclination will the 2nd mass begin to slide down the plane?

Normally (without 2 objects) I know that net force would have to equal 0 in order for the box to slide down. In other words, it would be Fgx - Ff = Fnet = 0.

I first started with this:

1489.6sinθ - 0 = 0 But I know the law of universal gravitation plays a part in this. I was thinking about making the 1489.6sinθ equal to the universal gravitational equation since I have all the variables.

1489.6sinθ = (Gm1m2)/(r^2)

Would this be the correct thing to do? If so, I'm confused as to why they would be equal. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your physics class is calculus based, the 2nd attachment in the link below illustrates a simple, structured methodology for approaching problems like this - it even has a mass on incline example. Check it out.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=93670

Last edited:
Oh no, I know how to do this type of a problem when there is a single mass. But this question is implying that m1 is exerting a gravitational force on m2 and vice versa. (How do I know this for sure? The question provides a given: G=6.67259e-11, BIG hint) That's what I'm confused about.

Could you write the problem statement?

Given:
g=9.8m/s^2
G= 6.67259e-11

A mass of m1=1680kg is held on a frictionless surface 11mm from a second mass of m2=152kg. The surface is slowly tilted. At what angle of inclination will the 2nd mass begin to slide down the plane?

Ok basicly, you do a sum of forces like you did, the force which will counterbalance the Weight of mass 2 will be the gravitational force mass 1 exerts on mass 2.
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = \vec{Fg}_{12} + m_{2} \vec{g} = \vec{0} [/tex]

Last edited:
AdnamaLeigh said:
But this question is implying that m1 is exerting a gravitational force on m2 and vice versa

Oops, didn't see that part.

It's okay, the method that I posted initially was correct. I wasted time, meh.

Related to Universal gravitation and inclines

1) What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental physical law that states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2) How does universal gravitation apply to inclines?

Universal gravitation applies to inclines in the sense that objects on inclines will experience a gravitational force that is directed towards the center of the Earth. This force will affect the acceleration of the object, causing it to roll or slide down the incline depending on its mass and the angle of the incline.

3) What is the relationship between mass and gravity in universal gravitation?

In universal gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be on other objects.

4) How does the distance between objects affect the force of universal gravitation?

The force of universal gravitation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases exponentially.

5) What is the difference between universal gravitation and Newton's law of gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a more general form of Newton's law of gravitation. While Newton's law only applies to objects on Earth's surface, universal gravitation applies to all objects in the universe. Additionally, Newton's law only takes into account the force between two objects, while universal gravitation considers the gravitational influence of all objects in the universe on each other.