Universal gravitation/escape velocity question

In summary, to find the altitude above Earth's surface that the rocket reaches, we can use the equation for conservation of energy, Eg=Gm1m2(1/r1-1/r2), and substitute in the given values of mass of the Earth (5.99x10^24 kg), gravitational constant (6.67x10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2), and initial velocity (9 km/s). Solving for r2, we get a final altitude of 1.21x10^4 km.
physicsdb
Q: a 4.6 kg rocket is launched directly upward from Earth at 9 km/s .
What altitude above Earth's surface does the rocket reach?

Relevant equations: v=[itex]\sqrt{2Gm/r}[/itex]
Eg=Gm1m2(1/r1-1/r2)

my attempt: i figured i should use the first equation which contains velocity so i did:

9000=[itex]\sqrt{2(6.67x10^-11)(5.99x10^24/r}[/itex]
9000^2=2(6.67x10^-11)(5.99x10^24)/r
r=9,865 km

the answer is 1.21x10^4 km
please help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsdb said:
Relevant equations: v=[itex]\sqrt{2Gm/r}[/itex]
That equation is not relevant to this problem. This is not a question about escape velocity.

so is this just a gravitational potential near Earth question ?

No. You cannot use mgh as gravitational potential energy for this problem because that expression assumes h is very small compared to the radius of the Earth.

i just tried Fg=Gm1m2/r^2 and that doesn't work either
9.8=6.67^-11(5.99x10^24)/r^2

Force isn't the relevant equation, either.

You won't make much progress in physics, or in any technical field, if your approach is to grab some random expression and run with it. You need to think. Ask yourself, what is it that would make this problem solvable?

In physics, one of the first places you should look is the conservation laws. The rocket's momentum isn't a conserved quantity; there's an external force (gravity) on the rocket. Conservation of angular momentum isn't going to help much; since the rocket was launched straight up, the rocket's angular momentum is identically zero from the perspective of an Earth-centered frame. That leaves conservation of energy, and it is very applicable since gravitation is a conservative force.

FAQ: Universal gravitation/escape velocity question

What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental physical law that states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object by a force called gravity. This force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

How does universal gravitation work?

Universal gravitation is based on the theory of general relativity, which explains that gravity is caused by the warping of spacetime by massive objects. The more massive an object is, the more it warps spacetime, and the stronger its gravitational pull on other objects.

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a massive body, such as a planet or a star. It is dependent on the mass and size of the object and the strength of the gravitational force.

How is escape velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating escape velocity is v = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object. This formula assumes that the object is being launched from the surface of the body.

Can escape velocity be exceeded?

Yes, it is possible for an object to exceed escape velocity and leave the gravitational pull of a body. This can be achieved by adding more energy to the object, either through a rocket or a slingshot maneuver around another massive body. However, even if an object exceeds escape velocity, it will still be affected by the gravitational pull of other objects in the universe.

Back