Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab

In summary, the author is discussing coproducts and products in general. He states that for any objects in a category, there is a unique homomorphism that associates the object with the coproduct. He also states that for a group, the coproduct is a free product. Lastly, he mentions that it is necessary for the group to be abelian for caffeinemachine's map $z$ to be a homomorphism.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0.

I am currently focused on Chapter II, Section 3: The Category Grp.

I need some help in getting started on Problem 3.3 in this section.

Problem 3.3 at the end of Chapter III, Section 3 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4503I am slightly overwhelmed by this problem ... if someone can help me to understand what is required as well giving me significant help with the problem then I would be extremely grateful ...

To give MHB members an idea of the context and Aluffi's notation, I am npow providing Section 5.5 Coproducts ...View attachment 4504
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4505

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0.

I am currently focused on Chapter II, Section 3: The Category Grp.

I need some help in getting started on Problem 3.3 in this section.

Problem 3.3 at the end of Chapter III, Section 3 reads as follows:I am slightly overwhelmed by this problem ... if someone can help me to understand what is required as well giving me significant help with the problem then I would be extremely grateful ...

To give MHB members an idea of the context and Aluffi's notation, I am npow providing Section 5.5 Coproducts ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter
As such $G\times H$ cannot be the coproduct in the category of Abelain groups. It is rather meaningless to say that.

What one ought to say is that $G\times H$ coupled with the maps $i:G\to G\times H$ and $j:H\to G\times H$ is the coproduct of $G$ and $H$ in the category of abelian groups, where $i(g)=(g, e)$ for all $g\in G$, and similarly for $j$.

But nobody writes this for the sake of brevity.

Now. To verify this is very easy. What we need to do is that if we have any other group $M$ with homomorphisms $p:G\to M$ and $q:H\to M$, we need to show that there is a unique homomorphism $z:G\times H\to M$ such that $z\circ i=p$ and $z\circ j=q$ (draw the commutative diagram!).

If at all there is such a homomorphism in existence, then we must have $z(g, e)=p(g)$ and $z(e, h)=q(h)$ for all $g\in G$ and $h\in H$. And from here we are forced to have $z(g, h)=p(g)q(h)$ for all $(g, h)\in G\times H$.

So we have only one candidate for $z$. It is easy to verify that this candidate is indeed a homomorphism and we are done.

Hi Peter,

Since caffeinemachine has given a solution to the exercise, I'd like to check your understanding of the initial paragraph of section 5.5 where the author discusses products and coproducts in general. Given objects $A$ and $B$ in category $\mathcal{C}$, can you write or draw a typical object and morphism in $\mathcal{C}^{A,B}$? This is important, since you'll be able to use that knowledge to write out the definition of a coproduct of $A$ and $B$ being an initial object in $\mathcal{C}^{A,B}$ (with full diagrams).

Also, keep in mind that it's necessary for $G$ to be abelian in order for caffeinemachine's map $z$ to be a homomorphism. This is why the author emphasizes abelian. In the larger general category of groups, the coproducts are free products.

Euge said:
Also, keep in mind that it's necessary for $G$ to be abelian in order for caffeinemachine's map $z$ to be a homomorphism. This is why the author emphasizes abelian. In the larger general category of groups, the coproducts are free products.
Euge, Caffeinemachine ... Thanks so much for your help ...

Wonderful to have such support in understanding abstract notions ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

Related to Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab

What is the Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab?

The Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab is a fundamental property of coproducts in the category of abelian groups. It states that for any collection of abelian groups, there exists a unique coproduct that satisfies certain conditions.

What are the conditions for the Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab?

The conditions for the Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab are as follows:

• The coproduct must exist in the category of abelian groups
  • For any other coproduct of the same collection of abelian groups, there must exist a unique homomorphism from the universal coproduct to the other coproduct

How is the Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab useful?

The Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab is useful because it allows us to define and construct coproducts in a categorical way, rather than explicitly constructing them element by element. This makes it easier to define and work with coproducts in a more abstract and general setting.

Can the Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab be extended to other categories?

Yes, the Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab can be extended to other categories, such as the category of rings or the category of modules. However, the conditions for the universal property may vary depending on the specific category.

What are some applications of the Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab?

The Universal Property for Coproducts in Ab has several applications in algebra and topology. For example, it is used in the construction of free abelian groups, direct sums of vector spaces, and disjoint unions in topology. It also plays a crucial role in the study of homological algebra and exact sequences in algebraic structures.