University is such a spaghetti cluster of choice

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding clear information about different STEM courses and their career options. The speaker also raises questions about the flexibility and overlap of different STEM fields, as well as the specific paths to certain careers such as computational biochemistry, working at Intel, or in cyber security. They also inquire about the importance of programming/CS in various STEM fields and the availability of jobs in academia, research, and industry. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to determine one's interests and consult with head hunters or human resources professionals for more specific information.
Jupitermallows
For someone who kinda likes all stems in general,this process of applying to the right course is very,ver messy.There's no place in internet (that I found) with a clear explanation of what each course gets you in terms of career and from which courses those careers get people

To be concise, it's not very defined what can be done with said degree, yes electrical engineering has electricity, but can I be a researcher in physics, can I this, Can I that? If I wanted to study the dna structure to make something cool, I should what?
Let me build up my question:
Which engineering has more research -or at least which has plenty.

How flexible are individual STEM fields?
->For example, math: I know many get work in 'computer' related things (basically it overlaps a lot with Comp Sci), like criptography, or low-level programming (not so sure of that), then there's what a random folk from the field would think:search more about the 'fundamental' of math

Then there's the classic: how much physics does each engineering has;as in, which studies physics in a more fundamental level (a view of things as a contiguous solid is less fundamental than viewing the world through the atoms lens), which course has more maths, how close to physics quantity of math,etc.

Ok,now: How, from such generic courses,people get so specific works:
->The other day I heard about computational biochemistry, if I ever wanted to be a computational biochemist, what path would I need to take? Double major chemistry and biology and minor in CS, or chemistry then biology's master and whatsoever.What?!
->If,just for the example,I wanted to work at Intel:
*May work as comp sci if developing the higher level aspects of CPU?or math
*If I wanted to make those transistors that have little to no atoms so small they are, were quantum physics is used,my background would be physics/electrical engineering/chemical engineering/other?
->If I wanted to work with cyber security and prevent the next NHS hack (:oldtongue:), would there be something specific to do after majoring (specific masters, or just applying to relevant companies)

Is there something like, universities specializing in certain fields? For example I heard that Italy has a big focus in particle physics. If I wanted another specialty, would I do it in Italy or would I have to go somewhere else?

How broad physics/chemistry are? The generic answer is "very",but that's quite vague. How many careers overlaps with other fields (It could be math,engineering, computer science everything really) and how much is 'field specific'.

For any STEM field (ANY),how much work there is for said field in the academia, how much for research, both public and private, and how much in the industry.Of course there are strong bias, like engineering,by definition, is industry oriented,mostly, but are there engineerings majors out there (or some combo with CS/physics/whatever degrees) with good footing in research? Finally, how vital is programming/cs for today's varied fields? Saw mentioned many times that modern math discoveries are bigly made with indispensable use of computers
Before I say goodbye;Yes I know that this text is quite big and I'm just basically asking everything, but no one in my family has a fling of a STEM background to advice, none of my teachers have helped much (neither the one or two stem majors I talked to), so mostly of what I know comes from googling basically and,I may be asking too much, but I feel I'm quite lost :oldfrown: . I've no bias so far towards a bachelor from the another, I don't know what kind of googling could help; so that's how I came to here, to finally create an account and make this absurd post. If anyone got the general point of this topic and feels like helping this disastrous soul here it would be nice haha

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Decide what you want to do - that's more important than all the rest.
Then, contact head hunters, or human resources people for the companies that hire those jobs. Explain to them that you are researching to choose a career/college/specific field of study, and ask them for permission to ask about their hiring preferences, rather than just diving in - polite humility will serve you well in this endeavor.
Once they agree, ask DIRECT, CONCISE questions that you have prepared in advance, and afterward, thank everyone, even if they were not very helpful. (You may meet them again when you have that degree...)

It is unclear to me if this would be acceptable over the phone, or via email - my gut tells me that traveling to them is more likely to get you a successful interview. Dress business casual, or better, depending on venue.

Good Luck.

Likes Jupitermallows

Related to University is such a spaghetti cluster of choice

1. What does "University is such a spaghetti cluster of choice" mean?

"University is such a spaghetti cluster of choice" is a metaphor that refers to the overwhelming number of options and decisions that one must navigate when attending a university. It can be compared to a tangled pile of spaghetti, where it can be difficult to find a clear path or make a decision.

2. How do you handle the abundance of choices at university?

The best way to handle the numerous choices at university is to prioritize and make a plan. Identify your goals and priorities, and then research and gather information about the different options available. From there, you can make a well-informed decision and avoid feeling overwhelmed.

3. Why is it important to make informed decisions at university?

Making informed decisions at university is crucial because it can impact your academic, personal, and professional life. The choices you make can affect your academic progress, mental health, and future career opportunities. It's important to consider all options and gather information before making a decision.

4. How can university students avoid feeling overwhelmed by the choices?

One way to avoid feeling overwhelmed by the choices at university is to seek guidance and support from advisors, professors, or mentors. They can provide valuable insights and help you narrow down your options. Additionally, creating a schedule and setting realistic goals can help you stay organized and focused.

5. Can too many choices at university be a bad thing?

While having a variety of options at university can be beneficial, too many choices can also have negative consequences. It can lead to decision fatigue, anxiety, and even paralysis, where one may struggle to make any decisions at all. It's important to prioritize and make decisions that align with your goals and values, rather than feeling pressure to try everything.