University of Toronto admissions average

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker has an 83 average in grade 11 and a 70 in physics. They have applied for mathematics and physics at UofT and currently have a 92 in their grade 12 physics course and a 90 average overall in grade 12. They are concerned about their grade 11 marks affecting their chances of getting accepted into UofT. However, one person suggests that UofT may be impressed by the significant improvement in grades in just one year, while another person mentions that grade 11 marks are only used for early admissions and UofT typically accepts students with a high 80s to 100 average.
Eelbot
I had an 83 average in grade 11
A 70 in physics
I applied for mathematics and physics at UofT
I currently have a 92 in my grade 12 physics course, and a 90 average overall in grade twelve
I am wondering if grade eleven will reduce my chances of getting accepted

Physics news on Phys.org
It probably would, depending on the applications they get. On the plus side, UFT will also be keen to know that you made such progress in one year, but on the down side, they might think you were just doing it for college. They are looking for some consistancy. Hopefully your other credentials are impressive? :]

I really doubt that they're going to care about your grade eleven grades.

They won't, grade 11 marks are only used for early admissions. The admission averages I believe are from low 80s to 100 with a mean of 83%-87%. I know someone who got into the Medical Science program with an 81% and that is more difficult then the A&S program.

I cannot speak on behalf of the University of Toronto admissions committee or their specific criteria for acceptance. However, I can offer some insights based on the information provided. Your grade 11 average of 83 may have a slight impact on your overall application, but it is important to remember that admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of all application materials, not just one aspect. Your improved grades in grade 12, particularly in physics, show your dedication and improvement in the subject. Additionally, your overall grade 12 average of 90 is strong and demonstrates your academic abilities. Admissions committees also consider letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, and personal statements when making decisions, so it is important to showcase your strengths in all areas. Ultimately, it is impossible to determine the impact of your grade 11 average on your chances of acceptance without knowing the specific criteria and competitiveness of the program. I would recommend focusing on continuing to perform well in your current courses and highlighting your strengths in your application.

Related to University of Toronto admissions average

What is the minimum admission average required for the University of Toronto?

The minimum admission average required for the University of Toronto varies depending on the program and faculty. Generally, the average ranges from mid-70s to mid-80s. However, some competitive programs may require a higher average.

How is the admission average calculated for the University of Toronto?

The admission average for the University of Toronto is calculated by taking the average of your top six Grade 12 courses, including any required courses for your program. This average is converted to a percentage and then compared to the minimum required average for your program.

What happens if my admission average is below the minimum required average?

If your admission average is below the minimum required average for the University of Toronto, your application will likely be rejected. However, some programs may consider other factors such as extracurricular activities or personal essays when making admission decisions.

Is the admission average the only factor considered for University of Toronto admissions?

No, the admission average is not the only factor considered for University of Toronto admissions. Other factors such as extracurricular activities, personal essays, letters of recommendation, and interviews may also be taken into account. Some programs may also have additional requirements, such as portfolios or auditions.

Can I still get into the University of Toronto if my admission average is below the minimum required average?

It is possible to be accepted into the University of Toronto with an admission average below the minimum requirement, but it is not guaranteed. Some programs may have a limited number of spaces available for students with lower averages, and these spaces may be highly competitive. It is best to strive for a high admission average to increase your chances of acceptance.