University professors emailing back?

In summary: In the physics department, however, it is more competitive and they generally only take undergrads since they are more useful. In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of high school students finding research internships with professors. It is mentioned that only a quarter to a third of professors may respond to a cold email from a high school student, and it is also mentioned that high school students may not be as valuable as undergraduate or graduate students for research. It is suggested to ask a current professor or look into specific programs for high school students to increase chances of finding an internship.
romsofia
Back in February I started sending out emails to professors who were doing research, the first three reply back saying they would be in Europe and that they couldn't use me for the summer. After that I've emailed ~8 other professors (Not all at once, but I wait a week for a response) and none of those ~8 professors emailed me back. Is it normal for professors them not to email back a stranger back asking for an internship?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I did search their research websites for the correct email address to contact them and if they are willing to let high school students intern.

Physics news on Phys.org
romsofia said:
Back in February I started sending out emails to professors who were doing research, the first three reply back saying they would be in Europe and that they couldn't use me for the summer. After that I've emailed ~8 other professors (Not all at once, but I wait a week for a response) and none of those ~8 professors emailed me back. Is it normal for professors them not to email back a stranger back asking for an internship?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I did search their research websites for the correct email address to contact them and if they are willing to let high school students intern.

It's hard to answer about what's normal without adequate statistics. Interestingly, you probably have better statistics than most. Based on your data, it seems that a quarter to a third of professors will email back and no professors will give a high school student an internship.

Not emailing back is disappointing, but most professors are busy. It's quite difficult for a high school student to get an internship with a professor since undergrad students are also interested and typically are in a better position to be useful. Professors, are even more interested in grad students (even though they have to pay them) because they are even more useful. It's possible that you are an exceptional person that could be useful, but even if so, it's not easy to get that across in a "cold call" type of email. Still it's not impossible, so don't give up. However, you will need to be tolerant of rejection and being ignored, if you keep trying.

stevenb said:
It's hard to answer about what's normal without adequate statistics. Interestingly, you probably have better statistics than most. Based on your data, it seems that a quarter to a third of professors will email back and no professors will give a high school student an internship.

Not emailing back is disappointing, but most professors are busy. It's quite difficult for a high school student to get an internship with a professor since undergrad students are also interested and typically are in a better position to be useful. Professors, are even more interested in grad students (even though they have to pay them) because they are even more useful. It's possible that you are an exceptional person that could be useful, but even if so, it's not easy to get that across in a "cold call" type of email. Still it's not impossible, so don't give up. However, you will need to be tolerant of rejection and being ignored, if you keep trying.

Thanks for the reply! I understand that being a high school student I will have a harder time finding an internship and will not give up :P I guess I'm just not use to teachers not replying back to emails :x

Professors, not teachers. And you're not their student, so they don't have any obligation to reply. Many don't take on summer students at all, and like others have mentioned, you almost certainly would be more work than use to them (undergrads are as well). They'd be doing you a huge favor. At least they often get paid to take on undergrads. It would help if you had some kind of connection through one of your high school teachers, or if you had taken a college class in physics.

Where are you located?

eri said:
Professors, not teachers. And you're not their student, so they don't have any obligation to reply. Many don't take on summer students at all, and like others have mentioned, you almost certainly would be more work than use to them (undergrads are as well). They'd be doing you a huge favor. At least they often get paid to take on undergrads. It would help if you had some kind of connection through one of your high school teachers, or if you had taken a college class in physics.

I'm currently taking QM 1, but I know my professor isn't doing research. So, you're suggesting that I ask him if he knows anyone that might be willing to take me on?
nbo10 said:
Where are you located?

Colorado, I've been emailing professors at CU boulder since a lot of them are partnered with JILA (that's where I found this information)

Last edited:
Yes, you should ask your current professor. Even if he/she isn't doing research, chances are good they know people who are. QM I is a junior/senior level college class, so they'd be impressed by a high school student taking it.

There are programs for high school students. Here is a link for the Army's program, http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=526.

The problem becomes knowing about the programs.

nbo10 said:
There are programs for high school students. Here is a link for the Army's program, http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=526.

The problem becomes knowing about the programs.

Thanks for the information!

It depends on the field (and department). The astronomy department here, for example, will practically take anyone for research (although some professors may take weeks to reply). I actually got a response rate of nearly 100% when I emailed the profs here back as a HS student.

Related to University professors emailing back?

1. How long does it typically take for a university professor to respond to an email?

The response time can vary depending on the individual professor's workload and schedule. However, most professors strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours.

2. Is it appropriate to email a university professor outside of their office hours?

It is generally acceptable to email a professor outside of their office hours, but it is important to be respectful of their time. If possible, try to send the email during their designated office hours for a quicker response.

3. What information should I include in my email to a university professor?

Be sure to include a clear and concise subject line that summarizes the purpose of your email. In the body of the email, introduce yourself and explain why you are reaching out to the professor. It is also helpful to provide any necessary context or background information.

4. Can I expect a detailed response from a university professor via email?

The level of detail in a professor's response may vary depending on the nature of the inquiry and their personal preferences. However, most professors will do their best to provide a thorough response to your email.

5. Is it appropriate to follow up with a university professor if they do not respond to my initial email?

If you have not received a response after a reasonable amount of time, it is acceptable to send a polite follow-up email. However, be sure to give the professor enough time to respond before following up.