Unlock the Mystery of the Monkey Saddle

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation was about a newly discovered geographical shape called the Monkey Saddle. The participants debated whether the shape resembled a monkey's face or its tail. One person provided a visual representation of a monkey sitting on the shape, while another argued that the shape would need to be oriented in a specific direction for the face interpretation to make sense. The conversation also touched on the potential for this shape to help quantify cognitive load at supraluminal thought speeds. Overall, the majority seemed to prefer the tail interpretation of the Monkey Saddle.
DiracPool
My favorite new geographical shape is now, drum role please...the Monkey Saddle.

When I looked at it initially, I thought right away I knew why it was called a Monkey Saddle. The shape (to me) just kind of looks like a monkey. Particularly, you can see the two ears on the side. The downward sloping concavity looks like a monkey snout, and the upward concavity looks like a monkey forehead.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Monkey_Saddle_Surface_(Shaded).png

Then... as I was doing more research on my recent favorite geometrical object, I found that the monkey saddle moniker got it's name because the monkey has a "tail" and that, what I thought were the ears were actually where the monkey's legs go, and the downward facing concavity was where the tail settled on.

That makes sense, especially because the word "saddle" is in the moniker, but I have to say I am still partial to the interpretation that the shape looks like a monkey's face.

I would like to get your opinion, which interpretation do you like better? The "face" or the "tail" interpretation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see either one. Just a small cutout of a hyperboloid

phinds said:
I don't see either one. Just a small cutout of a hyperboloid

Hmmmm

I pictured it like this:

2lm9ys2.png

I mean, you have to leave room for the tail.

Lol. Lisa. Ok, we got one for the "tail" interpretation with an impressive visual, I must say.

However, My vote still counts, and I voted for the "face" interpretation, so we need a tie breaker.

I'm having extreme difficulty picturing a monkey's face, but it takes no effort for me to picture a monkey sitting on it.
If it were oriented in any direction, I could picture a monkey sitting on it, but it seems to me it would have to be oriented in a specific direction for you to be able to make out a monkey's face. I see every reason to call it a 'monkey saddle' instead of a 'monkey face.'

leroyjenkens said:
I'm having extreme difficulty picturing a monkey's face, but it takes no effort for me to picture a monkey sitting on it.
If it were oriented in any direction, I could picture a monkey sitting on it, but it seems to me it would have to be oriented in a specific direction for you to be able to make out a monkey's face. I see every reason to call it a 'monkey saddle' instead of a 'monkey face.'

Ok, fair enough, two votes for the saddle, and one for the face, but, c'mon, you have to admit...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqeTwRmC5NlodPmZ6cJIDYZCjj_3ic2GXKqdzdWzPB-8WOsQrjyQ.jpg

I don't see a monkey.

I saw an analysis of this
th?&id=HN.607993015159426458&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

into a better this
th?&id=HN.608038558992500873&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

256bits said:
I don't see a monkey.

I saw an analysis of this

Lol. I wasn't expecting to have to create a third category:-p

DiracPool said:
Ok, fair enough, two votes for the saddle, and one for the face, but, c'mon, you have to admit...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqeTwRmC5NlodPmZ6cJIDYZCjj_3ic2GXKqdzdWzPB-8WOsQrjyQ.jpg

You have a seriously deranged imagination :smile:

OR ... possibly I have a poor imagination.

phinds said:
You have a seriously deranged imagination :smile:

OR ... possibly I have a poor imagination.

Differences in imagination are relative and I would say, by definition, are not amenable to quantification by ordinary means. And I'm sure that neither you nor I can imagine at such a rate where Lorentz effects would play any significant role.

However, if we could imagine that fast, the hyperboloid shape of the monkey saddle may indeed be the very structure we need to help us quantify the "corrections" to our cognitive load as we approach a supra-luminal speed of thought.

DiracPool said:
However, if we could imagine that fast, the hyperboloid shape of the monkey saddle may indeed be the very structure we need to help us quantify the "corrections" to our cognitive load as we approach a supra-luminal speed of thought.

Geez ... I can't even think at the speed of SOUND :smile:

More the tail interpretation for me.

Related to Unlock the Mystery of the Monkey Saddle

1. What is the "Monkey Saddle"?

The Monkey Saddle is a mathematical concept that describes the shape of a saddle-like surface that resembles the shape of a monkey's back. It is also known as the "Monkey Hump" or "Monkey Saddle Surface."

2. Who discovered the Monkey Saddle?

The Monkey Saddle was first described by mathematician Alfred Clebsch in 1868.

3. What makes the Monkey Saddle unique?

The Monkey Saddle is unique because it is a non-orientable surface, meaning it cannot be turned inside out without tearing or creating self-intersections. It also has a constant negative curvature, which is a rare property in mathematical surfaces.

4. How is the Monkey Saddle used in real-life applications?

The Monkey Saddle has practical uses in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to model the shape of certain physical objects, such as a pringles chip or the Earth's magnetic field. It also has applications in computer animation and game design.

5. Are there any other shapes similar to the Monkey Saddle?

Yes, there are other shapes that resemble the Monkey Saddle, such as the horse saddle and the Pringle chip. However, the Monkey Saddle is unique in its non-orientability and constant negative curvature.