Unraveling a Complicated Double Integral

In summary: = Γ(α1)Γ(α2)∫0t(u^(α1+α2−1)(t−u)^(α2−1)exp(−u))du= Γ(α1)Γ(α2)∫0t(u^(α1+α2−1)(t−u)^(α2−1)exp(−u))du= Γ(α1)Γ(α2)∫0t((t−u)^α2−1)exp(−u)du= Γ(α1)Γ(α2)∫0t((t−u)^α2−1)exp(−u)du= Γ
Kuma
URGENT - Help with a double integral!

Homework Statement

This is a statistics problem for another question but it involves a somewhat complicated double integral.

DSC00221.jpg

So I am stuck at the last line.
We were told to use the substitution with u as i wrote down.
I don't know what to do after that part, I've tried figuring out x2 in terms of u and subbing in, but it just gets more and more complicated. The substitution with dx1 is a "correct step" as my instructor told me.

Also you need the gamma function for this:

img45.gif

just that the x and the y's are the alphas, and the t is x1 or x2.

Anyway so this is supposed to cancel out with the huge constant in the front resulting in a final answer of 1.

Attachments

• DSC00221.jpg
    DSC00221.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 357
  • img45.gif
    img45.gif
    795 bytes · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
Integral[dx1 dx2 (x1^(alpha1 - 1)) (x2^(alpha2 - 1)) exp(-x1 - x2) ] over the area specifiedHomework Equations The gamma function is Γ(x) = (x-1)!The Attempt at a SolutionLet u = x1 + x2. Then dx1 = du - dx2 and dx2 = du - dx1. We can then rewrite the integral as:Integral[du ((x1^(alpha1 - 1)) (x2^(alpha2 - 1)) exp(-u))] over (0, t) for x1 and (t-x1, ∞) for x2= Integral[du (((u-x2)^(alpha1 - 1)) (x2^(alpha2 - 1)) exp(-u))] over (0, t) for x1 and (t-x1, ∞) for x2= Integral[du ((u^(alpha1 - 1)) ((t-u)^(alpha2 - 1)) exp(-u))] over (0, t) for x1 and (t-x1, ∞) for x2= Integral[du ((u^(alpha1 - 1)) ((t-u)^(alpha2 - 1)) exp(-u))] over (0, t)= Γ(α1)Γ(α2)∫0t(u^(α1−1)(t−u)^(α2−1)exp(−u))du= Γ(α1)Γ(α2)∫0t(u^(α1+α2−1)(t−u)^(α2−1)exp(−u))du

Related to Unraveling a Complicated Double Integral

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used in calculus to calculate the area under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It involves finding the volume between the surface and the x-y plane by summing up infinitesimal rectangles within the region of integration.

2. What is the purpose of a double integral?

The purpose of a double integral is to calculate the volume or area of a three-dimensional shape or surface in two dimensions. It is also used to find the center of mass, moment of inertia, and other important physical quantities in physics and engineering applications.

3. How do I solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you will need to first identify the region of integration and set up the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use one of the methods such as iterated integration, change of variables, or polar coordinates to evaluate the integral. It is important to follow the proper order of integration and use appropriate techniques to solve the integral.

4. What are the common mistakes when working with double integrals?

Some common mistakes when dealing with double integrals include incorrect set up of limits of integration, improper order of integration, and not considering symmetry or using the wrong technique for integration. It is also important to correctly interpret the problem and understand the physical meaning behind the integral.

5. How can I use double integrals in real-life situations?

Double integrals have various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, finding the mass of an object with varying density, determining the probability of an event occurring in a given area, and calculating the area under a curve in economics or physics. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing to create 3D models and analyze data.