Unraveling Ince's Wronskian Puzzle: Linear Dependence of Minors

In summary, the conversation discusses the Wronskian of k functions and the minors of the elements in the last line of the Wronskian. Eventually, the conversation reaches the point where the equation U_1'U_k - U_k' U_1 = 0 is derived and it is stated that U_1 is a constant multiple of U_k. The question is raised about whether linear dependence can be concluded from this equation, and it is explained that in this case, working with the minors of a determinant allows for the conclusion that U_1 and U_k are linearly dependent.
psholtz
I'm reading Ince on ODEs, and I'm in the section (in Chapter 5) where he talks about the Wronskian. There are quite a few things here that I don't quite understand or follow.

I'm not going to get into all the details, but briefly, suppose we have the Wronskian of k functions:

[tex]W = \left|\array{cccc} u_1 & u_2 & ... & u_k \\
u_1' & u_2' & ... & u_k' \\
... & ... & ... & ... \\
u_1^{(k-1)} & u_2^{(k-1)} & ... & u_k^{(k-1)} \endarray\right|[/tex]

and we designate by [tex]U_1, U_2, ... U_k[/tex] the minors of the elements in the last line of the Wronskian.

So far so good.

Then there is quite a lot of derivation that I don't quite follow, but my main question is this: eventually he gets to the point where he has the following equation:

[tex]U_1'U_k - U_k' U_1 = 0[/tex]

Ince then tersely states that since [tex]U_k[/tex] is not zero, it follows that:

[tex]U_1 = -c_1U_k[/tex]

or in other words, that U_1 is a constant multiple of U_k.

That's the part I don't quite follow.

All things being equal, his expression itself seems to be "like" a Wronskian, except that it involves the minors of a determinant, rather than "functions" (or, solutions to a differential equation). That is, we could re-write his initial equation:

[tex]\left|\array{cc}U_1 & U_k \\ U_1' & U_k'\endarray\right| = 0[/tex]

But I don't see how linear dependence follows from that equation.

In do see how if U_1 and U_k are linearly dependent, then we can conclude that the "Wronkian" must be zero.. but isn't it a standard result from linear algebra that if the Wronskian is zero, we can't necessarily conclude that the functions are linearly dependent?

Does this restriction not apply in this case, since we are working w/ the minors of a determinant, rather than "real" functions?

Physics news on Phys.org

psholtz said:
[tex]U_1'U_k - U_k' U_1 = 0[/tex]

Ince then tersely states that since [tex]U_k[/tex] is not zero, it follows that:

[tex]U_1 = -c_1U_k[/tex]

or in other words, that U_1 is a constant multiple of U_k.

That's the part I don't quite follow.

The way I understood this when I learned it is:
If U_1 and U_k are both not identically zero, we can divided W by (U_1)^2 which yields:
[tex] \frac{W}{U_{1}^{2}}=\frac{U_1'U_k - U_k' U_1}{U_{1}^{2}}=(\frac{U_k}{U_1})'=0[/tex]

[tex](\frac{U_k}{U_1})'=0[/tex] suggests U_1=const x U_k

FAQ: Unraveling Ince's Wronskian Puzzle: Linear Dependence of Minors

1. What is Ince's Wronskian Puzzle?

Ince's Wronskian Puzzle is a mathematical problem that involves determining the linear dependence of minors in a matrix. It was first proposed by mathematician Edward Lindsay Ince in the early 20th century.

2. What is the significance of solving Ince's Wronskian Puzzle?

Solving Ince's Wronskian Puzzle has implications in several areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, combinatorics, and differential equations. It also has applications in other fields such as physics and engineering.

3. What is meant by the "linear dependence of minors" in Ince's Wronskian Puzzle?

The linear dependence of minors refers to the relationship between the determinants of the submatrices (minors) of a larger matrix. Ince's Wronskian Puzzle involves determining when these determinants are all equal to zero, indicating linear dependence.

4. What are some methods for unraveling Ince's Wronskian Puzzle?

There are several methods for solving Ince's Wronskian Puzzle, including the use of determinants, elementary row operations, and combinatorial techniques. Another approach is to use the Sylvester's criterion, which involves checking the signs of certain determinants.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Ince's Wronskian Puzzle?

Yes, Ince's Wronskian Puzzle has applications in areas such as control theory, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used in the study of differential equations and their solutions.

Back