Unraveling the Mystery of Copper Resistance Values in AWG

In summary, the conversation is about determining the copper resistance values using the American Wire Gauge chart listed on Wiki. The person is trying to use the formula for DC resistance but is getting a value that is four times smaller than the accepted value. It is pointed out that the diameter, not the radius, should be used in the equation.
satchmo05
Hey all,

I am looking at the American Wire Gauge chart listed on Wiki ([PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge).[/PLAIN] I am attempting to determine how they are getting their copper resistance values.

From my education, DC resistance is equal to [length/(conductivity*pi*radius of wire2)]. For example, if I am using #6 AWG - radius is equal to 4.115[mm], conductivity of copper is equal to 5.96e7[S/m]. This gives me 0.3154[mOhm/m], nearly four times smaller than the accepted value of 1.3[mOhm/m].

Where am I going wrong? Thanks,

- Satchmo05

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh wow, that's embarrassing. Thanks for the second set of eyes. I've been staring at that very simple equation for 20 minutes and I just couldn't get anywhere. Most appreciated.

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of Copper Resistance Values in AWG

What is the significance of copper resistance values in AWG?

Copper resistance values in AWG (American Wire Gauge) are important because they determine the electrical conductivity and efficiency of copper wires. This is crucial in the design and performance of electrical systems, as well as in the calculation of power loss and voltage drop.

How are copper resistance values measured in AWG?

Copper resistance values in AWG are measured using a standard method called the "resistance per unit length" (RUL) method. This involves measuring the resistance of a specific length of wire and then calculating the resistance per unit length using the AWG standard formula.

What factors affect copper resistance values in AWG?

There are several factors that can affect copper resistance values in AWG. These include the length and diameter of the wire, the temperature, and the type and purity of the copper used. Other factors such as the presence of impurities or damage to the wire can also impact the resistance values.

How do copper resistance values in AWG differ from other types of wire?

Copper resistance values in AWG may differ from other types of wire due to the unique properties of copper and the specific design of the AWG standard. Other types of wire, such as aluminum or steel, may have different resistance values due to their composition and design standards.

What are some practical applications of understanding copper resistance values in AWG?

Understanding copper resistance values in AWG is important in various industries such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and electronics. It allows for the efficient design and operation of electrical systems, as well as the proper selection of wires for specific applications. It can also help in troubleshooting and maintaining electrical systems to prevent power loss and other issues.