Unraveling the Mystery: The Battle of the Somme Closing Date Confusion"

• Thread starter angel_csi91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary: The British and French had planned to launch a simultaneous offensive on the Western Front in July 1916, but the German army successfully rushed reinforcements to the area, halting the Allied advance. The Battle of the Somme officially began on July 1 with British and French forces attacking German positions north of the River Somme. By the end of the first day, the British had advanced only 1.5 kilometers (0.9 mi).The battle continued for seven weeks with little progress made by either side. On November 13, the British and French launched a new offensive, with more troops and heavier artillery. This time, they broke through the German lines and reached the River Somme. However, the successful offensive cost the Allies over half a million
angel_csi91
Desperate Help Needed!

hey everyone,
i'm kinda new but i know how this works. this has nothin 2 do with science or even maths, its history but i really need help. I've been to several sites to learn about the battle of the Somme which occurred in world war one. sites are giving me different closing dates of the battle and I'm confused. did it finish after 6 weeks or several months? :confused:
please help i need this info for my assignment which is due the day after tommorrow!

thanx to anyone who helps i really appreciate it! :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
My Encyclopedia Britannica lists two Battles of Somme (this may be the reason for the confusion).
The First Battle of Somme:
(July 1–Nov. 13, 1916), costly and largely unsuccessful Allied offensive on the Western Front during World War I.
The Second Battle of Somme:
also called Battle of Saint-Quentin (March 21–April 5, 1918), partially successful German offensive against Allied forces on the Western Front during the later part of World War I.
(If you need to check history facts often, you might want to bookmark http://www.bartleby.com/67/.)
http://www.bartleby.com/67/1800.html lists the First Battle.
http://www.bartleby.com/67/1812.html lists the Second Battle. Note that what Britannica calls 'The Second Battle of Somme' and 'The Battle of Saint-Quentin', this encyclopedia calls 'The great March Offensive'. And this encyclopedia calls other battles of the same year, lasting from Aug. 21 to Sept. 3, 'The Second Battles of the Somme and of Arras'. So relying solely on a particular name for a battle seems like a bad idea; Looking at what actually took place during a battle seems safest.

I assume you're interested in the First Battle, so here's some additional reliable info:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/wwone/battle_somme.shtml

Last edited:

FAQ: Unraveling the Mystery: The Battle of the Somme Closing Date Confusion"

1. What is "Desperate Help Needed" about?

"Desperate Help Needed" is a phrase often used in urgent requests for assistance or support in a difficult situation. It can refer to a wide range of issues, from personal emergencies to global crises.

2. Who typically uses the phrase "Desperate Help Needed"?

The phrase is commonly used by individuals or organizations facing a pressing and challenging situation. It can be used by anyone in need of help, regardless of their background or circumstances.

3. How can I provide help in a "Desperate Help Needed" situation?

There are many ways to provide assistance in a "Desperate Help Needed" situation. You can offer your time, resources, or expertise, or donate to reputable organizations working to address the issue at hand. It's important to research and verify the credibility of the request for help before taking action.

4. What are some examples of "Desperate Help Needed" situations?

"Desperate Help Needed" can apply to various scenarios, such as natural disasters, financial crises, health emergencies, or personal hardships. It can also refer to urgent social or political issues, such as poverty, violence, or environmental disasters.

5. How can we prevent "Desperate Help Needed" situations from occurring?

Prevention is key in avoiding "Desperate Help Needed" situations. This can involve taking proactive measures such as disaster preparedness, addressing root causes of issues, promoting education and awareness, and supporting vulnerable populations. It's also important to have systems in place to respond quickly and effectively when emergencies do arise.

Back