Unraveling Theorem 4.2.5: Understanding Linear Maps and Scalar Products

• Thread starter PcumP_Ravenclaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Theorem 4.2.5 states that the most general linear map from ##R^3## to ##R## is of the form ##x\rightarrow x\cdot a##, where ##a## is a vector in ##R^3##. This is proven by showing that any linear map can be represented as the scalar product of the input vector and a fixed vector ##a## in ##R^3##.
PcumP_Ravenclaw
Theorem 4.2.5 The most general linear map ## f : R^3 → R ## is of the form ## x → x·a##, for some vector a in ##R^3##.
Proof: Suppose that ##f : R^3 → R## is linear, and let ##a = (a_1, a_2, a_3)##, where ##a_1 =
f (i), a_2 = f (j), a_3 = f (k).##
Then ##f (x) = f (x_1i + x_2j + x_3k) = x_1 f (i) + x_2 f (j) + x_3 f (k) = x·a##.
My understanding
The function, f is scalar product and it takes two vectors x and a and changes them into a scalar x? why x again are they different? How did ## f(x) ## become ##f (x) = f (x_1i + x_2j + x_3k) ##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
Theorem 4.2.5 The most general linear map ## f : R^3 → R ## is of the form ## x → x·a##, for some vector a in ##R^3##.
Proof: Suppose that ##f : R^3 → R## is linear, and let ##a = (a_1, a_2, a_3)##, where ##a_1 =
f (i), a_2 = f (j), a_3 = f (k).##
Then ##f (x) = f (x_1i + x_2j + x_3k) = x_1 f (i) + x_2 f (j) + x_3 f (k) = x·a##.
My understanding
The function, f is scalar product and it takes two vectors x and a and changes them into a scalar x?
No, f maps a vector ##\vec{x}## to the scalar ##\vec{x} \cdot \vec{a}##. The dot (or scalar) product produces a scalar as its output.
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
why x again are they different? How did ## f(x) ## become ##f (x) = f (x_1i + x_2j + x_3k) ##?
##f(\vec{i}) = \vec{i} \cdot \vec{a} = a_1##. Similar for ##f(\vec{j})## and ##f(\vec{k})##.

I think s/he is making use of some representation theorem for functionals in
## \mathbb R^n## in which every linear functional can be described as the inner-product by a fixed element.

Related to Unraveling Theorem 4.2.5: Understanding Linear Maps and Scalar Products

What is Theorem 4.2.5?

Theorem 4.2.5 is a mathematical statement that has been proven to be true. It is a part of a larger mathematical theory or framework and serves as a fundamental building block for further mathematical reasoning.

What is the purpose of Theorem 4.2.5?

The purpose of Theorem 4.2.5 is to provide a general rule or principle that can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems. It helps to simplify complex mathematical concepts and allows for the development of more advanced theories and formulas.

How do you understand Theorem 4.2.5?

To understand Theorem 4.2.5, you must first have a solid understanding of the mathematical concepts and notation used in the theorem. You should also be familiar with the assumptions and conditions of the theorem. Then, carefully read and analyze the statement of the theorem to grasp its meaning and implications.

What are the key components of Theorem 4.2.5?

The key components of Theorem 4.2.5 are the statement, assumptions, and conclusion. The statement is the mathematical rule or principle being proven, the assumptions are the conditions that must be met for the theorem to be true, and the conclusion is the logical result of the theorem.

How is Theorem 4.2.5 used in practical applications?

Theorem 4.2.5 can be used in various practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It serves as a foundation for solving real-world problems and developing new theories and technologies. By understanding and applying Theorem 4.2.5, scientists and researchers can make accurate predictions and develop innovative solutions to complex problems.