Unravelling the Mystery of IUPAC: Writing Fe2S3

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to write chemical formulas using the IUPAC method. The conversation starts with a question about how to write Fe2S3 in IUPAC method and the request for examples. The responder clarifies that Fe2S3 is already written correctly in IUPAC method and the conversation shifts to discussing compound naming using the IUPAC system. The conversation ends with the questioner thanking the responder for their help and understanding the concept.
Hellohi

Homework Statement

How do you write Fe2S3 in IUPAC method, it would be great if you could explain and show some examples of IUPAC methods.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to see how you do one of them then I can probably get the rest, thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what your problem is, as far as I can tell Fe2S3 is a correctly written IUPAC formula.

Hi, sorry for not replying early Borek but, IUPAC method is supposed to be written with words.
so like CaCO3 is calcium carbonate. I'm not sure how to use the IUPAC method with anything.

Thanks for looking at my question, I hope you can reply back because my test is tommorow( about moles but I still got to know Nomenclature and I've been slacking).

All the best wishes.

Yeah! It's the first one! Thanks man, so could you explain it just a bit? What I don't get is how we change the second element.

What do you mean "change"?

Have you read the first page linked to?

Hi, sorry for my late responses, it's because I'm really busy but I get it now, thanks!

Related to Unravelling the Mystery of IUPAC: Writing Fe2S3

1. What is IUPAC and why is it important?

IUPAC stands for International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry. It is the global authority for developing standards and guidelines for chemical nomenclature, symbols, and terminology. It is important because it ensures consistency and clarity in the communication of chemical information among scientists and researchers worldwide.

2. What does Fe2S3 stand for and what is its significance?

Fe2S3 is the chemical formula for Iron (III) sulfide, a compound composed of two atoms of iron and three atoms of sulfur. Its significance lies in its use as a catalyst, an ingredient in steel production, and a potential material for solar cells and batteries.

3. How is the name Fe2S3 derived according to IUPAC naming rules?

The name Fe2S3 is derived using the Stock system, which is one of the preferred IUPAC naming methods for inorganic compounds. In this system, the name of the cation (iron) is followed by its charge in Roman numerals in parentheses. The name of the anion (sulfur) is then written with the suffix -ide. Therefore, Fe2S3 is named Iron (III) sulfide.

4. Are there any special rules for writing the chemical formula Fe2S3?

Yes, according to IUPAC rules, the subscript numbers in a chemical formula should be in their lowest possible ratio. In this case, the formula Fe2S3 is already in its lowest ratio, so it is correct. However, it is important to note that the cation (iron) is always written first in a chemical formula, followed by the anion (sulfur).

5. Can you provide an example of a compound with a similar formula and how it would be named according to IUPAC rules?

An example of a compound with a similar formula is FeS2, which is Iron (II) disulfide. In this case, the Roman numeral indicates the charge of the iron ion, while the prefix "di-" indicates the number of sulfur atoms. This naming system helps to differentiate between compounds with different oxidation states and numbers of atoms.