Unsure of solution to improper integral

In summary, the conversation discusses attempts at solving the improper integral ∫[∞][1] ln(x) x^-1 dx. The individual tried using the comparison test and substitution, but ultimately found that taking the limit to infinity was the most effective way to prove divergence. It is also mentioned that the integral has a simple antiderivative and can be solved by taking the limit.
Satirical T-rex
I've been trying to solve this improper integral ∫[∞][1] ln(x) x^-1 dx. I couldn't find any way to use the comparison test to find divergence, so I used substitution and got ∞-∞ which I was pretty sure was divergence until I noticed I put 0 instead of 1 making my answer ∞. Do I need to prove divergence with a comparison test or is an answer of ∞ enough to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi T, :welcome:
You could work out $$\int_1^Y {\ln x\over x} dx $$ (As I think you did already) and take ##\lim Y\rightarrow \infty## to show the integral does not exist.

Likes Satirical T-rex
Hi,this integral has simple antiderivative (after substituting ##\ln##), after you can take the limit of the result for ##Y\rightarrow +\infty## (as suggested by @BvU ).

Likes Satirical T-rex
Thanks for your help and the warm welcome.

Likes Ssnow

Related to Unsure of solution to improper integral

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the boundaries of integration are either infinite or undefined. This means that the integral cannot be solved using the usual methods, and requires special techniques to find a solution.

2. How do you know if an integral is improper?

An integral is considered improper if any of the following conditions are met: 1) one or both of the boundaries of integration are infinite, 2) the function being integrated has an infinite discontinuity within the interval of integration, or 3) the function being integrated becomes unbounded within the interval of integration.

3. What are some techniques for solving improper integrals?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve improper integrals, including: 1) using the limit definition of the integral, 2) breaking the integral into a sum of two or more integrals, 3) using trigonometric substitutions, and 4) using integration by parts.

4. What happens if an improper integral cannot be solved?

If an improper integral cannot be solved using any of the available techniques, it is said to be divergent. This means that the integral does not have a finite value and cannot be evaluated.

5. How do improper integrals relate to real-world applications?

Improper integrals are often used in real-world applications to model situations where the boundaries of integration are infinite or undefined. For example, they can be used to calculate the area under a curve that extends to infinity, or to find the total volume of an object with an irregular shape. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving infinite series or functions with infinite discontinuities.