Unsure what undergraduate research to pursue

In summary, the conversation is about a sophomore electrical engineering student who is applying to the honors college and is required to write a senior thesis and do undergraduate research. The student is unsure about what topic to research and is concerned about not having enough skills to make a significant contribution to the field. However, the conversation concludes that the main purpose of undergraduate research is to learn about the research process and show interest in a topic, rather than making a major contribution. The student decides to write about quantum computing and hopes for the best.
Drumstick42
I'm a sophomore electrical engineering student. I've decided to apply to the honors college at my school. Part of the program includes writing a senior thesis and doing undergraduate research. One of the essay questions on the application asks me to describe a topic that I might be interested in researching,and why I would want to research said topic.

I don't have a problem with this. In fact, the research opportunity is one of the major reasons I'm applying to the program. The problem is that, before now, I have never really given research much thought. I don't really get deep into my major classes until next semester, so I can't really draw from that. There are loads of fields that I find intriguing, but the one that stands out to me is quantum computing.

My concern is that as an undergraduate, I won't have necessary skills to contribute anything worthwhile to the field. It seems as though it will require mathematics and knowledge of quantum physics far beyond what I'll learn as an undergraduate. Am I correct in this? If so, should I write about something a little simpler? Am I completely over thinking this? I understand that they're not forcing me to choose a research subject at this very moment, but I don't want to come off as an idiot by picking something that's way over my head.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Experimental groups usually have grunt work that all but the lowliest of undergrads can handle. If you try to work with a theorist you'll probably be out of luck unless you have taken advanced coursework, but it depends.

Drumstick42 said:
My concern is that as an undergraduate, I won't have necessary skills to contribute anything worthwhile to the field.

The main point of undergraduate research is in learning about the research process and a bit about the field, not in making a major contribution to the field. Professors who supervise undergraduate research are generally very much aware of this, and don't expect you to bring much to the project except a willingness to learn and maybe a bit of some practical skill such as programming, electrical work, pipefitting, etc.

When I was an undergrad, one of the things I did was to help my professor install extra electrical outlets in the lab space that he had recently taken over.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like they'd be more concerned about me demonstrating a desire to do research and show an interest in something, rather than focusing on what I can contribute to a particular topic. I guess I'll write the essay on Quantum Computing and hope for the best.

Related to Unsure what undergraduate research to pursue

1. What is undergraduate research?

Undergraduate research involves students conducting original research projects under the guidance and mentorship of a faculty member. It allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Why should I pursue undergraduate research?

Pursuing undergraduate research can provide numerous benefits such as enhancing your understanding of a subject, building your resume, and preparing you for graduate studies or a career in research. It also offers the opportunity to work closely with faculty and potentially publish your findings.

3. How do I identify which research topic to pursue?

Start by exploring your interests and strengths in your field of study. You can also talk to your professors, attend department seminars, and read research articles to get an idea of current topics and projects. Additionally, consider what skills or experiences you hope to gain from the research.

4. Can I pursue undergraduate research in a different field than my major?

Yes, you can pursue research in a different field than your major. In fact, interdisciplinary research can provide a unique and valuable perspective. However, keep in mind that you may need to take prerequisite courses to build a foundation in the new field.

5. How do I get started with undergraduate research?

Contact your academic advisor or faculty members in your department to express your interest in undergraduate research. They can help connect you with potential research opportunities and provide guidance on how to get started. You can also check your university's website for information on research programs and funding opportunities.