Unsure where g term comes from? in this equation

• Thread starter trojan15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary: Correct.What force does gravity exert on the rod? (Now write an expression which includes the mass, M, of the rod.)The force of gravity on the rod would be M*g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity.
trojan15

Homework Statement

Consider a uniform rod of mass 12 kg and length 1.0 m. At its end the rod is attached to a fixed, friction-free pivot. Initially the rod is balanced vertically above the pivot and begins to fall from rest. Determine
a) the angular acceleration of the rod as it passes through the horizontal.

Homework Equations

I started with torque = Ia = ML/2I got my equation down to

a= ML / [2(1/3 M L ^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

however I am unsure what to do after this step, the answer key has it further reduced to 3g/2L, but I am confused where the g comes from?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
trojan15 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a uniform rod of mass 12 kg and length 1.0 m. At its end the rod is attached to a fixed, friction-free pivot. Initially the rod is balanced vertically above the pivot and begins to fall from rest. Determine
a) the angular acceleration of the rod as it passes through the horizontal.

Homework Equations

a= ML / [2(1/3 M L ^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

however I am unsure what to do after this step, the answer key has it further reduced to 3g/2L, but I am confused where the g comes from?

Thanks
Hello trojan15. Welcome to PF !

In your equation, Iα = ML/2 , what does M represent?

How is it that the right hand side represents torque?

Hello trojan15, Welcome to Physics Forums.

trojan15 said:

a= ML / [2(1/3 M L ^2)]
How did you arrive at your torque equation, Ia = ML/2? The units aren't correct.

I think you'll first want to investigate the moment of inertia ##I## of a slender rod pivoted about an end. Then consider the torque on the rod at the instant it's horizontal.

[edit: Ah! Beaten to the punch by SammyS!]

gneill said:
Hello trojan15, Welcome to Physics Forums.How did you arrive at your torque equation, Ia = ML/2? The units aren't correct.

I think you'll first want to investigate the moment of inertia ##I## of a slender rod pivoted about an end. Then consider the torque on the rod at the instant it's horizontal.

[edit: Ah! Beaten to the punch by SammyS!]
So I went back and examined where I went wrong, however, I hit another snag.
So I did a= torque/Inertia, which got me to:a= rF/ [1/3 ML ^2]

a= maF/ 1/3ML^2

and then I get stuck because I have an acceleration value on both sides, and I feel like I'm going in the wrong direction

What force is causing the torque on the rod?

a= maF/ 1/3ML^2

and then I get stuck because I have an acceleration value on both sides, and I feel like I'm going in the wrong direction

trojan15 said:

a= maF/ 1/3ML^2

Are you saying that r = ma ? Surely not.

Let's go back to your original post:
trojan15 said:
I started with torque → Ia = ML/2
That has an error in it.

What is the force which pulls down on the rod (thus providing the torque) ?

SammyS said:
Are you saying that r = ma ? Surely not.

Let's go back to your original post:

That has an error in it.

What is the force which pulls down on the rod (thus providing the torque) ?
I realized the ML/2 part was wrong, and instead substituted
a= ML / [2(1/3 M L ^2)]
is this even the right step?

trojan15 said:
I realized the ML/2 part was wrong, and instead substituted
a= ML / [2(1/3 M L ^2)]
is this even the right step?
Simply answer this question.

What force produces the torque? Don't even give a formula, just name it.

SammyS said:
Simply answer this question.

What force produces the torque? Don't even give a formula, just name it.

The rod rotating?

trojan15 said:
The rod rotating?
That's not a force.

Let's change the starting conditions.

Suppose the rod were to start in a horizontal position. What force would cause the rod to move downward?

SammyS said:
That's not a force.

Let's change the starting conditions.

Suppose the rod were to start in a horizontal position. What force would cause the rod to move downward?
gravity!

trojan15 said:
gravity!
Correct.

What force does gravity exert on the rod? (Now write an expression which includes the mass, M, of the rod.)

Related to Unsure where g term comes from? in this equation

1. What is the meaning of "g" in this equation?

In this equation, "g" typically refers to the acceleration due to gravity. It is a constant value that is equal to 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth.

2. Why is "g" used instead of another letter or symbol?

The letter "g" is commonly used to represent the acceleration due to gravity because it was first introduced by Isaac Newton in his laws of motion. It has become a widely recognized symbol for this concept in physics and other scientific fields.

3. Is "g" the same in all equations?

No, the value of "g" may vary depending on the context and the specific equation being used. For example, in the equation for gravitational potential energy, "g" represents the acceleration due to gravity, while in the equation for force, "g" represents the gravitational constant.

4. How is "g" calculated or measured?

The value of "g" can be calculated using the equation g = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the object. It can also be measured using a variety of scientific instruments, such as an accelerometer or a pendulum.

5. Are there different values of "g" on other planets or celestial bodies?

Yes, the value of "g" varies depending on the mass and radius of the celestial body. For example, on the moon, "g" is approximately 1.62 m/s^2, while on Jupiter, it is approximately 24.79 m/s^2. This is due to differences in the gravitational pull of these bodies.

Back