Unusual Compiler Error (using Dev-C++ Mingw)

In summary: I fixed this by adding .c to the source extension.In summary, when trying to compile and run Question1, an error is generated and the compiler cannot find the project file. If the source file is not saved with a .cpp extension, make will not be able to find it and the program will loop.
phyzmatix
I find myself with an unexpected error that I can't seem to resolve. When trying to compile and run even a simple program, I receive the following error (the directory path for the project file is C:\unisa\Assignments, the project is Assignment1 and source file is Question1):

mingw32-make.exe (in the "Line" columnn of compiler tab in DevC++ window) C:\unisa\Assignment1\mingw32-make.exe (in "File" column) Circular Question1 <- Question1.o dependency dropped (in "Message column)

next line:

C:\unisa\Assignment1\Makefile.win ('File" column) [Build Error] exe: *** [Question1] Error 1 ("Message" column)

I have double checked that my compiler settings are correct and have even uninstalled and re-installed both the IDE as well as the compiler, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Technology news on Phys.org
It looks like there is an error in the Makefile = the equivalent of a project file
Is there an option to rebuild the makefile?

mgb_phys said:
It looks like there is an error in the Makefile = the equivalent of a project file
Is there an option to rebuild the makefile?

I'm not sure, but I have deleted the makefile to see if a new attempt at getting it to run works, but no luck. However, I'm on a different machine at the moment and thought I'd try the exact same code on a computer where the combination of Dev-C++ and Mingw has NEVER given me any problems and now I have the same issue (having said that, I've never tried creating projects on this machine, purely single source files).

If I simply use the option to open a new source file (independent of a project) everything works. As soon as I try to create a project, including the code in an underlying source file, then no go...

Perhaps I should just find myself another IDE/compiler combo?

Problem solved!

When creating the project, I made the mistake of not saving the source file with a .cpp extension, so make was looking for an extension and finding none, ended up in a loop.

FAQ: Unusual Compiler Error (using Dev-C++ Mingw)

1. What causes an unusual compiler error while using Dev-C++ Mingw?

There are several potential causes for an unusual compiler error while using Dev-C++ Mingw. These can include syntax errors in the code, missing or incorrect library files, conflicts with other programs or settings, or outdated compiler versions. It is important to carefully check the code and ensure all necessary files are present and up to date to troubleshoot and resolve the error.

2. How can I fix an unusual compiler error in Dev-C++ Mingw?

The first step to fixing an unusual compiler error in Dev-C++ Mingw is to carefully read the error message and try to identify the source of the problem. This can often be done by checking for any syntax errors or missing files. If the error persists, it may be helpful to consult online forums or seek assistance from more experienced programmers for further troubleshooting and potential solutions.

3. Can an unusual compiler error in Dev-C++ Mingw be caused by outdated software?

Yes, an unusual compiler error in Dev-C++ Mingw can sometimes be caused by outdated software. This can occur if the compiler version is not compatible with the code being used or if there are conflicts with other programs or settings on the computer. It is important to regularly update software to avoid these types of errors.

4. Is there a way to prevent unusual compiler errors in Dev-C++ Mingw?

While it is not always possible to prevent all unusual compiler errors in Dev-C++ Mingw, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the likelihood of encountering them. These include regularly updating software, carefully checking code for errors before compiling, and avoiding conflicts with other programs or settings on the computer.

5. Should I report an unusual compiler error in Dev-C++ Mingw to the developer?

If you are unable to resolve an unusual compiler error in Dev-C++ Mingw on your own, it may be helpful to report the error to the developer. This can help them identify and fix any underlying issues that may be causing the error. Additionally, reporting errors can also help improve the overall functionality and reliability of the software for other users.