Uploading/Downloading Full Software Packages(100Mb +)

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for uploading and downloading large files over 100Mb. It is suggested to zip the files before uploading, but some email services have limits on file sizes. Alternatives such as using file sharing sites like Dropbox or Google Drive, or using torrents, are also mentioned. It is noted that some email services, like Gmail, have higher file size limits.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
What kind of methods are there to upload/download large files (program files) , of more than, say 100Mb?
Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
The same as any other uploads or downloads. If you have lots of files, it helps to zip them up first.

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
The same as any other uploads or downloads. If you have lots of files, it helps to zip them up first.
Thanks, but some of these files are 20Mb + even if zipped , and many email services will not allow files beyond 5Mb or so.

Ah, I see what you're referring to now. Yes, there is a limit on most email servers. There are some sites that allow you to upload large files for download. Dropbox comes to mind.

Likes WWGD
I've used Google Drive to transfer large files to other people.

Likes WWGD
Another solution is torrents.
I didn't know that many email services had a limit of about 5 Mb or so. gmail for instance has its limits at 25 Mb or so, I believe.

FAQ: Uploading/Downloading Full Software Packages(100Mb +)

1. What is the difference between uploading and downloading full software packages?

Uploading refers to the process of transferring files from a local device to a remote server or storage location. Downloading, on the other hand, involves retrieving files from a remote server or storage location to a local device. In the context of software packages, uploading means sending the package to a server or online platform, while downloading means retrieving it to a local device for installation.

2. How long does it take to upload or download a full software package of 100Mb or more?

The time it takes to upload or download a software package depends on various factors such as internet connection speed, server capacity, and network congestion. In general, a 100Mb file can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to upload or download.

3. What are the potential risks of uploading or downloading full software packages?

Uploading or downloading software packages can pose security risks if the files are not from a trusted source. There is also a risk of downloading corrupted or infected files, which can compromise the functionality of the software or the security of the device. It is important to ensure that the source of the software package is reputable and to have proper security measures in place.

4. Are there any restrictions or limitations when uploading or downloading full software packages?

Some platforms or servers may have restrictions on the size of files that can be uploaded or downloaded. In addition, there may be limitations on the number of files that can be uploaded or downloaded at once. It is important to check the guidelines and restrictions of the platform or server before attempting to upload or download a full software package.

5. Can I resume an interrupted upload or download of a full software package?

In most cases, you can resume an interrupted upload or download of a software package as long as the platform or server supports it. However, this may not be possible if the interruption was caused by a server error or if the file has been removed from the server.

Back