Upper divsion undergrad course in geometry?

In summary, the conversation is about a college-level geometry course and its content. The course covers topics such as congruence, area, parallelism, similarity, volume, and Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry. It is more rigorous than a high school geometry course and may also touch on topics such as fractals and polygons. The course does not branch into topology, but may involve concepts from differential geometry and the idea of a metric. It is recommended to speak to someone from the mathematics department or the course instructor for more information.
MathWarrior
I was just wondering they have a course at my university and I am trying to figure out what exactly it covers. Most people learn basic geometry in high-school so I was surprised to find a course for mathematics majors that is an upper division course in geometry at the college level.

The course description is as follows:
Congruence, area, parallelism, similarity and volume, and Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry.

Which is rather vague. Has anyone here taken such a course and if so what type of things do you learn? Does it eventually branch into topology?

Physics news on Phys.org
A wikipedia search of euclidean and non-euclidean geometry roughly reveals the entire course. Think of it as planar and none planar geometry where say, on the surface of a sphere, a triangle's total angles don't add up to 180 as they do in planar.

No. The the geometry course doesn't branch into topology. They are taught separately at least in my university. (Geometry has prereq of calc 3, topology typically requires proof based courses like real analysis or linear algebra at my university.)

Edit: Topics may include: fractals, polygons, etc.

The course looks very similar to a high school course in geometry. The only difference is likely that this college course is much more rigorous (and hence much more interesting). A very good book that treats the topics in your course is Hartshorne: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441931457/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be a course designed for math education major to help polish up and give more insight into geometry for future math teachers. At least, that is the intent of the course at my university.

If this is a course at your university then ask the mathematics department or, if you know who, the person who is teaching the course.

I took a class like that. There's some overlap with high school geometry, but the class I took studied the foundations more. In Euclidean geometry, there are certain postulates, one of which is the parallel postulate, which says that there is a unique parallel line through a point not on a given line. For a long time, mathematicians thought that it was the only possible geometry, but after a lot of people tried to prove it and failed, a few people, like Gauss realized that other geometries were possible. Today, with 20/20 hindsight, it seems almost silly that people thought that the parallel postulate could be deduced from the other axioms of geometry. The reason why it seems silly is, in part, because there are simple examples of geometries where the parallel postulate is false (models).

It doesn't branch into topology. More like differential geometry, to some extent. But you probably won't see any in the class. There are models of hyperbolic geometry that are set up using differential geometry ideas. One way to think of hyperbolic geometry, at least locally, is that it is like you are doing geometry on a certain surface of constant curvature, called a pseudo-sphere. Another differential geometry idea that enters the picture is the idea of a metric, which is just a way of measuring distances and angles. Another realization of hyperbolic plane geometry is just a disk, where you measure distances and angles differently from usual.

FAQ: Upper divsion undergrad course in geometry?

1. What is the purpose of an upper division undergraduate course in geometry?

An upper division undergraduate course in geometry is designed to deepen students' understanding of geometric concepts and principles, and to prepare them for more advanced mathematical studies. It provides a rigorous and abstract approach to geometry, building upon the foundation laid in introductory geometry courses.

2. What topics are typically covered in an upper division undergraduate course in geometry?

Topics covered in an upper division undergraduate course in geometry may include Euclidean geometry, non-Euclidean geometry, projective geometry, differential geometry, and topology. Students may also explore the history and development of geometry, as well as its applications in other fields of mathematics and science.

3. What skills and knowledge are required to succeed in an upper division undergraduate course in geometry?

Students should have a strong foundation in basic geometry concepts, as well as a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry. They should also possess strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and logically.

4. How is an upper division undergraduate course in geometry typically taught?

An upper division undergraduate course in geometry is typically taught through a combination of lectures, discussions, and problem-solving sessions. Students may also work on individual or group projects, and may be required to write research papers or give presentations on a specific topic in geometry.

5. What are the potential career paths for someone who has taken an upper division undergraduate course in geometry?

Graduates of an upper division undergraduate course in geometry may pursue careers in fields such as mathematics, engineering, computer science, architecture, and physics. They may also go on to graduate studies in mathematics or related fields, such as computational geometry or mathematical physics.