Upward force on a object spinning on on string

In summary, the object will always be slightly tilted downwards due to the vertical component of the tension on the string.
ramanakumars
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what forces would counteract the force of gravity on an object which is spinning horizontally on a string. I realize its a component of the tension, but how does the force come about?
Is this force also the reason that the object's plane of rotation rises when we start the spinning from when the object was at rest?

Thanks,
Ramana

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I think, yes, that is the reason the string would go up, i.e., would become slanted instead of horizontal.

In suck a case, the vertical component of the tension would balance the weight and the horizontal component would act as the centrifugal force required for rotation.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the reply...
What I was wondering was how a vertical component could exist for a horizontal force... Anything I'm missing here?

I just realized something... Is it that as soon as the rotating plane tilts away from the horizontal, the vertical component "steps in" to ensure that the plane is set back?

An object "spinning on a vertical string" has NO vertical component. The force on the string is just the weight of the object. IF you mean an object moving in a horizontal circle, held by a string from a point above the center of the circle, then the object does NOT move outward on its own. There must have been a additional force initially to move the object horizontally. The vertical component is still the weight of the object.

I believe there is some confusion... I am sorry if I wasn't clear.
The situation is a uniform horizontal circular motion (parallel to a level ground). I was wondering why the plane of the circle stays at that level and does not drop, despite the obvious force of gravity 'pulling down' on the object. At this point, the vertical component of the tension on the string is zero, as there simply is no vertical component.
I believe Siddharth answered the question by saying that at the point where the plane of the circle dips, the vertical component of the tension forces the plane back to its original position. This does seem logical to me... But I am not entirely sure..

Thanks...

It is not that the plane of rotation rises up so that a rock-on-a-string is level with the hand that is swinging it. It is a matter of equilibrium.

If the plane of rotation is far below the hand, the vertical component of tension will tend to cause it to rise.

If the plane of rotation is level with the hand, gravity will tend to cause it to fall.

Somewhere in between is an equuilibrium level where the force of gravity and the vertical component of tension are in balance. No matter how fast you spin the rock, this level will be somewhere below the hand.

ramanakumars said:
I was wondering why the plane of the circle stays at that level and does not drop, despite the obvious force of gravity 'pulling down' on the object. At this point, the vertical component of the tension on the string is zero, as there simply is no vertical component.

This is the part that is wrong. There is a vertical component. You will never get the string perfectly horizontal, at least not in a steady-state condition. The string will be slightly angled downwards, and the vertical component of the tension will balance the weight of the object.

Likes 1 person
Ok... I understand...
Thanks a lot guys... :D

Exactly. It will never remain in the horizontal plane.
Cheers.

FAQ: Upward force on a object spinning on on string

What is the upward force on an object spinning on a string?

The upward force on an object spinning on a string is known as the centripetal force. This force is directed towards the center of the circular motion and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular path.

How is the upward force on an object spinning on a string calculated?

The upward force on an object spinning on a string can be calculated using the formula F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

What factors affect the upward force on an object spinning on a string?

The upward force on an object spinning on a string is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circular motion. Increasing any of these factors will result in an increase in the upward force.

What happens to the upward force on an object spinning on a string if the string is shortened?

If the string is shortened, the radius of the circular motion decreases and therefore the upward force on the object will increase. This is because the object will have to spin faster to maintain its circular path and the centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity.

Can the upward force on an object spinning on a string be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the upward force on an object spinning on a string can be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the centripetal force is a result of the object's velocity and radius, not its mass. Therefore, even a small object can have a large upward force if it is spinning at a high velocity with a small radius.