Upward Normal Force Exerted by Floor on Elevator Passenger

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net force and acceleration of an elevator passenger. The normal force exerted by the floor is 620N and the passenger weighs 650N. The problem requires finding the acceleration, which is -0.455 m/s^2. The question of whether to subtract the forces in order of magnitude or direction is clarified, and it is mentioned that the normal force acts against the downward direction. Additionally, the correct formula for calculating weight is w=mg, not ma.
Heat

Homework Statement

The upward normal force exerted by the floor is 620N on an elevator passenger who weighs 650N.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am reviewing all the Homework assigned so, I do got the answers. :)

Anyways, the way I set this problem up was F=ma.

First we need to know the mass, which we get by w=mg.

650 = m9.8
m = 66.33

now we plug into F=ma.

Fnet = 66.33a

I managed to get the acceleration of .455 , but my question here is , why is the net force 620-650 and not 650-620.

Do we always subtract from the smaller force first? My first instinct was since gravity was larger it would be 650-620.

What if it was this instead: "The upward normal force exerted by the floor is 700N on an elevator passenger who weighs 100N."?

Would it be normal force-w or will it still be w-n. ?

I just need a clarification. o:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what exactly does the problem ask you to find? The normal force is less because the elevaotr is accelerating in what direction to make the passenger weight less?

It tells me to find acceleration.

I did of -.455

I know because of it being negative it goes down.

but

what if I subtracted 650-620 = 30
then it would be 30/66.33 = .455

a would be positive.

"My first instinct was since gravity was larger it would be 650-620"

the normal force acts against the downward direction.

so u can think of it as 620N + (-650N) .
"Do we always subtract from the smaller force first? My first instinct was since gravity was larger it would be 650-620. "

no, Newtons law is addition of forces so u need to keep your +/- sings with respect to the directions.

Last edited:
Your first problem is that w=mg not ma.

Gravity is commonly measured in units of m s-2, (metres per second squared). hmmm

FAQ: Upward Normal Force Exerted by Floor on Elevator Passenger

1. What is the upward normal force exerted by the floor on an elevator passenger?

The upward normal force exerted by the floor on an elevator passenger is the force that the elevator floor exerts on the passenger to support their weight and keep them from falling through the floor. This force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on the passenger.

2. Why does the upward normal force exerted by the floor on an elevator passenger change?

The upward normal force exerted by the floor on an elevator passenger changes because the elevator is accelerating or decelerating. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, the normal force will be greater than the weight of the passenger. When the elevator is accelerating downwards or at a constant velocity, the normal force will be equal to the weight of the passenger.

3. How does the weight of the elevator passenger affect the upward normal force exerted by the floor?

The weight of the elevator passenger directly affects the magnitude of the upward normal force exerted by the floor. The heavier the passenger, the greater the normal force needed to support their weight and keep them from falling through the floor.

4. Does the upward normal force exerted by the floor change if the elevator is at rest?

If the elevator is at rest, the upward normal force exerted by the floor will be equal to the weight of the passenger. This is because the elevator is not accelerating or decelerating, so the normal force only needs to be strong enough to counteract the force of gravity.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the upward normal force exerted by the floor on an elevator passenger?

Aside from the weight of the passenger and the acceleration of the elevator, there are other factors that can affect the upward normal force. These include the size and shape of the passenger, as well as any external forces acting on the elevator (such as wind or vibrations).

Back