Upward Projectile Motion (Which equation do I use?)

In summary, the conversation discusses using different methods and equations for finding the range of upward projectiles. It is mentioned that both methods are valid and that the range equation can be used as long as certain conditions are met. It is also noted that the textbook has provided a different answer, possibly due to a mistake in the question. The conversation ends with the understanding that the specific method or equation used depends on the given information in the question.
A-linav

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.01.07 PM.png

Homework Equations

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.01.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.02.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.03.30 PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just for (a) as I have not attempted the others yet. Okay so my question is: How do I know which method/equation to use when finding the range of upward projectiles? Does it matter? I seem to have gotten the same answer (Dh= 123m) for both methods but my textbook didn't explain when to use which equation.
As well... Is my answer even correct? The answer in the textbook says the displacement is 40m but I don't know where they are getting this number.

20884059_10155277915793551_1242010813_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.01.37 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
A-linav said:
How do I know which method/equation to use when finding the range of upward projectiles?
Both are valid. The "range" equation you used in method 2 is proved using method 1.

A-linav said:
my textbook didn't explain when to use which equation.
As long as the conditions for the range equation are met, you can use it. It gets more complicated when you want the range on an inclined plane, but again, there is an equation you can learn for that.
I was never very confident learning equations, but I could always remember how to derive them.
In the present case, method 1 answers part b as a side benefit.
A-linav said:
The answer in the textbook says the displacement is 40m
The textbook has used 20 m/s as the launch speed.
This is a clear example of a question that has been sloppily modified. In part c, the football has turned into a javelin.

haruspex said:
Both are valid. The "range" equation you used in method 2 is proved using method 1.As long as the conditions for the range equation are met, you can use it. It gets more complicated when you want the range on an inclined plane, but again, there is an equation you can learn for that.
I was never very confident learning equations, but I could always remember how to derive them.
In the present case, method 1 answers part b as a side benefit.

The textbook has used 20 m/s as the launch speed.
This is a clear example of a question that has been sloppily modified. In part c, the football has turned into a javelin.

Thanks for your help and for your quick reply! I guess it just depends what is given in the question then :)

Related to Upward Projectile Motion (Which equation do I use?)

1. What is upward projectile motion?

Upward projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or launched from a surface and moves upwards in a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What is the equation for calculating upward projectile motion?

The equation for calculating upward projectile motion is y = y0 + v0t - 1/2gt2, where y is the vertical displacement, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. When should I use this equation for upward projectile motion?

This equation should be used for any situation in which an object is launched or thrown upwards and its motion is affected by gravity. It can be used for a variety of objects, including balls, projectiles, and even rockets.

4. What are the units of measurement for the variables in the upward projectile motion equation?

The units of measurement for the variables in the equation are as follows: y and y0 are measured in meters (m), v0 in meters per second (m/s), t in seconds (s), and g in meters per second squared (m/s2).

5. Is there a simplified equation for upward projectile motion?

Yes, there is a simplified equation for upward projectile motion when the initial vertical velocity is equal to zero (v0 = 0). The simplified equation is y = y0 - 1/2gt2.