Urn problem (indisting. objects into distinguishable urns)

• Thread starter fignewtons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: So the marginal distributions of ##X_1## and ##X_2## are binomial with n trials and probability 1/m. The distribution of ##X_1## and ##X_2## together is described in the article you linked. The article gives the mean and variance for the number of balls in urn 1, which is ##EX_1 = n/m## and ##VarX_1 = nm/m^2 (1-1/m) = np(1-p)## where ##p = 1/m##. The covariance is ##Cov(X_1,X_2) = -n/m^2##.
fignewtons

Homework Statement

I have n balls and m urns numbered 1 to m. Each ball is placed randomly and independently into one of the urns.
Let Xi be the number of balls in urn number i.
So X1+...+Xm = n
What is the distribution of each Xi?
What is EXi and VarXi
What is E[XiXj] given i≠j
What is Cov(X1,Xj?

Homework Equations

Cov(XY)=Exy(XY)-Ex(X)Ey(Y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I read: https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Distinguishability and identified this as the last case.
I understand that there (n+m-1)ℂ(m-1) ways to place the balls but not how to describe this in the form of a pdf so that I can find expectation and variance and such.

Physics news on Phys.org
figNewtons said:

Homework Statement

I have n balls and m urns numbered 1 to m. Each ball is placed randomly and independently into one of the urns.
Let Xi be the number of balls in urn number i.
So X1+...+Xm = n
What is the distribution of each Xi?
What is EXi and VarXi
What is E[XiXj] given i≠j
What is Cov(X1,Xj?

Homework Equations

Cov(XY)=Exy(XY)-Ex(X)Ey(Y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I read: https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Distinguishability and identified this as the last case.
I understand that there (n+m-1)ℂ(m-1) ways to place the balls but not how to describe this in the form of a pdf so that I can find expectation and variance and such.

Clearly, for a single urn, the distribution of the number ##X_i## in urn i is the same for any i = 1,2, ...,n, so we might as well look at urn 1. For urns i and j ≠ i the bivariate distribution of ##(X_i,X_j)## is the same for any pair i and j, so we might as well look at urns 1 and 2.

To find the marginal distribution of ##X_1##, just look at it as a problem having two urns: 1 and not-1. For each object, the probability it goes into urn 1 is 1/m, while the probability it goes into urn not-1 is (m-1)/m.

For urns 1 and 2 look at it as a three-urn problem with urns 1, 2 and not-12. For each object, p(1) = p(2) = 1/m and p(not-12) = (m-2)/m.

Related to Urn problem (indisting. objects into distinguishable urns)

1. What is the Urn problem?

The Urn problem, also known as the Balls and Urns problem, is a mathematical problem that involves distributing a certain number of indistinguishable objects into a certain number of distinguishable urns.

2. What is the purpose of the Urn problem?

The Urn problem is often used in probability and combinatorics to understand and calculate the different possible combinations and outcomes when distributing objects into different groups or categories.

3. How is the Urn problem solved?

The Urn problem can be solved using various mathematical methods such as combinations, permutations, and the binomial coefficient formula. It also requires understanding the concept of distinguishable and indistinguishable objects.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Urn problem?

The Urn problem has various real-life applications such as predicting the outcomes of lottery draws, analyzing data in genetics and population studies, and understanding the distribution of particles in physics experiments.

5. Is there a general solution to the Urn problem?

There is no single general solution to the Urn problem as it can vary depending on the specific scenario and parameters given. However, there are various mathematical formulas and methods that can be applied to solve different variations of the problem.