Use a substitution to compute the integral

In summary, The conversation is about a student seeking help with a question involving integration techniques such as partial fractions, improper integrals, trig substitution, and series. They attempted to use partial fractions integration but were unsure if their solution was correct. Another student suggests using the substitution ##u=\sqrt{x}## to make the integral easier. The first student then asks for help with determining ##dx## in terms of ##u## and ##du##, and the conversation concludes with a suggestion to simplify and then complete the partial fraction decomposition.
Neek 007

Homework Statement

Going over past exam problems, stuck on this one. Attached

Calc 2, topics include for this exam integration techniques, such as partial fractions, improper integrals, trig sub, and series.

Question reads: Use a substitution to compute: (see attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried partial fractions integration.

1. dx/x(1 + sqrt(x)

2. A/x + B/(1+sqrt(x) = 1/x(1+sqrt(x))

Solved for A, A= 1 B = -1

Resulted in:

1/x - 1/1+sqrt(x)

I integrated each part:

ln(abs(x)) - (ln(abs(1+sqrt(x)))*(1/2sqrt(x))

I am not sure if this was correct.

Attachments

• daum_equation_1394583054024.png
    daum_equation_1394583054024.png
    692 bytes · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{1}{x(1+\sqrt{x}) }[/itex] is not equal to 1/x - 1/(1+sqrt(x)).

Use the substitution √x = u first.

ehild

u = sqrt(x)
du = 1/2sqrt(x)

x = u^2

∫1/(u^2 + u^3)

∫1/(u^2(1+u))

Then I use partial fractions decomposition

A= 1
B = -1

∫1/u^2 - ∫1/(1+u)

substitute in u

∫1/x - ∫1/(1+sqrt(x))

ln(abs(x)) - ln(abs(1+sqrt(x)))

Answer: ln((x/(1+sqrt(x)))

Neek 007 said:
u = sqrt(x)
du = 1/2sqrt(x)

That is wrong...

Neek 007 said:
x = u^2

Determine dx in terms of u and du. Without dx or du, it is not an integral!

ehild

Did you forget to sustitute for dx?

Make it easier for you: Define ##x=u^2 \implies dx=?##

so how does this sound:2u/(u^2(1+u)) du

Then I complete the partial fraction decomposition?

Neek 007 said:
so how does this sound:

2u/(u^2(1+u)) du

Then I complete the partial fraction decomposition?

Simplify by cancelling first, then do the partial fraction decomposition.

FAQ: Use a substitution to compute the integral

1. How do I use substitution to compute an integral?

Substitution is a technique used to simplify integrals by replacing a variable with a new one. To use substitution, you must first identify the inner function and its derivative in the integral. Then, you can substitute the inner function with a new variable and rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable.

2. What is the benefit of using substitution to compute an integral?

Substitution allows for the integration of more complex functions by simplifying them into a form that can be easily integrated. It also allows for the use of known integration formulas, making it a useful tool in solving integrals.

3. Are there any specific steps to follow when using substitution for an integral?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when using substitution. First, identify the inner function and its derivative. Then, make a substitution by replacing the inner function with a new variable. Next, rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable and solve. Finally, substitute the original variable back into the solution to get the final answer.

4. Can substitution be used for all types of integrals?

Yes, substitution can be used for all types of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. However, it may not always be the most efficient method, so it is important to consider other techniques as well.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using substitution for an integral?

One common mistake to avoid when using substitution is forgetting to substitute the original variable back into the solution. This can lead to incorrect answers. It is also important to carefully choose the new variable to ensure it simplifies the integral.