Use C-R eqns to determine points whose fn's are analytic

• Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses using the Cauchy Riemann equations to determine the points at which a function is analytic. The function being analyzed is f(z)=x^2-y^2-x+iy(2x+1), with the corresponding equations being u_x=v_y, u_y=-v_x, and z(x,y)=x+iy. The attempt at a solution includes breaking the function into its real and imaginary components, determining the partial derivatives, and concluding that the function is not analytic as it does not satisfy the C-R equations. The conversation also delves into the idea of differentiability and the use of the derivative to determine analyticity. Another function, h(z)=cos(2x)cosh(2y
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Use the Cauchy Riemann equations to those points whose functions are analytic

##f(z)=x^2-y^2-x+iy(2x+1)##

Homework Equations

C-R eqn's

##u_x=v_y, u_y=-v_x, z(x,y)=x+i y##

The Attempt at a Solution

##u(x,y)=x^2-y^2-x##
##v(x,y)=y(2x+1)##

##u_x=2x-1##
##u_y=-2y=-v_x##
##v_y=2x+1 \therefore u_x \ne v_y \implies##

the function f(z) is not analytic...Not sure what the question is asking regarding 'determining those points'

Can some shed some light if I need to do more?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely there are some x and y such that

[tex]y(2x+1)=2x+1[/tex]

These are the points in which the function is analytic. (don't forget to check the second Cauchy-Riemann equation)...

micromass said:
Surely there are some x and y such that

[tex]y(2x+1)=2x+1[/tex]

These are the points in which the function is analytic. (don't forget to check the second Cauchy-Riemann equation)...
If y=1 then the equation holds.

Not sure I understand you at all. If the function doesn't satisfy the C-R equations then is it not analytic? How can one proceed?

Although I have noticed that ##u_{xx}+u_{yy}=0## if this is anything to do with it..?

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Use the Cauchy Riemann equations to those points whose functions are analytic

##f(z)=x^2-y^2-x+iy(2x+1)##

Homework Equations

C-R eqn's

##u_x=v_y, u_y=-v_x, z(x,y)=x+i y##

The Attempt at a Solution

##u(x,y)=x^2-y^2-x##
##v(x,y)=y(2x+1)##

##u_x=2x-1##
##u_y=-2y=-v_x##
##v_y=2x+1 \therefore u_x \ne v_y \implies##

the function f(z) is not analytic...Not sure what the question is asking regarding 'determining those points'

Can some shed some light if I need to do more?

Thanks

You need to distinguish analyticity and differentiability. A function is analytic at a point z0 if it's differentiable in a neighborhood of that point and it's differentiable at z0 if it satisfies the CR equation and the partials are continuous. Yours don't so it's not differentiable anywhere. Also, can check if it's a function of [itex]\overline{z}[/itex] and if
[tex]\frac{df}{d\overline{z}}\neq 0[/tex]
then it's not differentiable. Note your function equals [itex]z^2-\overline{z}[/itex].

jackmell said:
You need to distinguish analyticity and differentiability. A function is analytic at a point z0 if it's differentiable in a neighborhood of that point and it's differentiable at z0 if it satisfies the CR equation and the partials are continuous. Yours don't so it's not differentiable anywhere.

So we have established that this function is not analytic because it is not complex differentiable since it does not satisfy the C-R equations, hence we cannot determine those points? Right?

jackmell said:
Also, can check if it's a function of [itex]\overline{z}[/itex] and if [tex]\frac{df}{d\overline{z}}\neq 0[/tex] then it's not differentiable. Note your function equals [itex]z^2-\overline{z}[/itex].

Is this interpretation correct?

##\displaystyle \frac{df}{dz}=\frac{d}{dz}(z^2-\overline{z})= 2z## where ##\frac{d}{d\overline{z} }(-\overline{z})## does not exist..right?

What about this final one ##h(z)=\cos(2x)\cosh(2y)-i \sin(2x)\sinh(2y)##

This is not analytic either since it does not satisfy the C-R equations, ie

##u_y=-\frac{1}{2} \cos(2x)\sinh(2y) \ne -v_x##...?

bugatti79 said:
Is this interpretation correct?

##\displaystyle \frac{df}{dz}=\frac{d}{dz}(z^2-\overline{z})= 2z## where ##\frac{d}{d\overline{z} }(-\overline{z})## does not exist..right?

I probably should not have brought up the conjugate thing. That just makes is more confussing. It's also confusing to me too. If the derivative exists, then you can use the ordinary rules of differentiation and conclude:
[tex]\frac{d}{dz} z^2=2z[/tex]

but the derivative of [itex]z^2-\overline{z}[/itex] does not exists so you can't just differentiate it with respect to z and conclude that is the complex derivative. Probably best for now to just focus on f=u+iv and work through the CR equations without considering if f can be represented in terms of z and it's conjugate.

I think this one satisfies the CR equations. Ain't that just cos(2z)?

bugatti79 said:

jackmell said:
I think this one satisfies the CR equations. Ain't that just cos(2z)?

Sorry, I had a brain cramp assuming the derivative of cosh is -sinh.

Ok, this function satisfies the C-R hence it is complex differentiable and hence it is analytic.
Not sure what to do next though regarding determining the 'points'...?

Thanks

Related to Use C-R eqns to determine points whose fn's are analytic

1. What are C-R equations and how are they used?

C-R equations, also known as Cauchy-Riemann equations, are a set of mathematical equations that are used to determine whether a function is analytic. These equations are derived from the Cauchy-Riemann conditions, which are necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be analytic. They are used to determine whether a function satisfies the conditions and is therefore analytic.

2. Why is it important to use C-R equations to determine analytic points?

Using C-R equations is important because they allow us to determine whether a function is analytic or not. If a function is analytic, it means that it is differentiable at every point in its domain and can be represented by a power series. Analytic functions have many important properties that make them useful in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What does it mean for a function to be analytic?

A function is considered analytic if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann conditions, which state that the function's real and imaginary parts must be differentiable and have continuous partial derivatives with respect to both the x and y variables. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at every point in its domain.

4. How do you determine which points are analytic using C-R equations?

To determine which points are analytic using C-R equations, we first plug in the function's real and imaginary parts into the equations and solve for the partial derivatives. Then, we check if these partial derivatives are continuous at the given point. If they are, then the point satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann conditions and is considered analytic.

5. Can C-R equations be used to determine points that are not analytic?

Yes, C-R equations can also be used to determine points that are not analytic. If a point does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann conditions, then the function is not analytic at that point. This means that the function is not differentiable or cannot be represented by a power series at that point. However, it is important to note that just because a function is not analytic at a specific point does not mean it is not analytic at other points in its domain.