Use Complex Potential Flow to solve a problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps for solving a problem involving complex potentials and finding stagnation points. Part a involves finding the complex potential using a source, image, and uniform flow. The no-penetration boundary condition is satisfied by ensuring the x-axis is a streamline. Part b involves finding the stagnation points, which are found by setting the derivative of the complex potential equal to zero. The result is manipulated to find z in terms of m/(U*a). Part c involves determining the strength of the source to prevent flow from passing underneath it, but the solution is unclear.
squire636

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/gLLVSuA

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a is simple. The first step is to find the complex potential. I wasn't 100% sure, but it seems like I need to add an image of the source, so I added an additional source located at z = -ia and then added the three complex potentials:

W(z) = source + image + uniformFlow

W(z) = m/(2*pi) * ln(z-ia) + m/(2*pi) * ln(z+ia) + Uz

W(z) = m/(2*pi) * ln(z^2 + a^2) + Uz

Then, to satisfy the no-penetration boundary condition along the plate, we need to ensure that the x-axis is a streamline. We can substitute z = x+iy and then plug in y=0 to simplify our equation. From there, we know that the imaginary part of W(z) is the stream function, and this is clearly zero along the x-axis, so we conclude that the x-axis is indeed a streamline.

Part b is where I'm having trouble. I need to find the stagnation points, which occur when dW/dz = 0. I take the derivative and set it equal to zero as follows:

mz/(pi*(z^2 + a^2)) + U = 0

Then, with some manipulation:

z^2 + mz/(pi*U) + a^2 = 0

I then apply the quadratic formula to find:

z = -m/(2*pi*U) +/- (a/2)*sqrt( (m/(pi*U*a))^2 - 4

Since the question asks for the solution in terms of m/(U*a), I can manipulate the result to find:

z = a* (-XY +/- sqrt((XY)^2 - 1))

with X = 1/(2*pi)
and Y = m/(U*a)

I'm not sure if this is right, because the multiplication of the entire expression by 'a' seems odd. Is this correct so far?

Part c also gives me trouble. We need to figure out how strong the source needs to be in order to have no flow from the uniform flow pass underneath the source. I'm not sure how to proceed here. My first idea was to figure out under what conditions the y-axis is a streamline, but that lead to a dead end. I then tried to find a stagnation point along the x-axis, but this introduces a new variable (x-coordinate of the stagnation point) that is giving me trouble. Can someone push me in the right direction here? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have made a mistake in finding z using the quadratic formula:

z = 1/2(-m/(pi*U) +/- (1/2)*SQRT[(m/(pi*U))^2 - 4*a^2]

Nope, that's what I have, I just factored out an a^2 from inside the square root.

Related to Use Complex Potential Flow to solve a problem

1. What is Complex Potential Flow and how is it different from regular potential flow?

Complex Potential Flow is a mathematical technique used to analyze fluid flow problems in which the velocity field of the fluid is represented by a complex function. Unlike regular potential flow, which assumes the fluid is incompressible and irrotational, complex potential flow takes into account the effects of vorticity and compressibility. This makes it a more accurate and versatile tool for solving fluid flow problems.

2. How is Complex Potential Flow used to solve fluid flow problems?

To solve a fluid flow problem using Complex Potential Flow, we first define a complex potential function that satisfies certain boundary conditions. This function is then used to derive the complex velocity potential and stream function, which can be used to determine the flow field and other important parameters, such as pressure and lift. The complex potential function can also be used to visualize the flow using streamlines and equipotential lines.

3. What types of problems can be solved using Complex Potential Flow?

Complex Potential Flow can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including flow around airfoils, wings, and bodies of various shapes, as well as flow in pipes, channels, and other geometries. It can also be applied to both steady and unsteady flow situations, making it a useful tool for analyzing time-dependent phenomena.

4. What are the limitations of Complex Potential Flow?

While Complex Potential Flow is a powerful and versatile tool, it does have some limitations. For instance, it assumes that the fluid is inviscid, meaning it has no internal friction, and that the flow is two-dimensional and incompressible. In addition, it is not suitable for analyzing turbulent or highly nonlinear flows. These limitations should be taken into consideration when using Complex Potential Flow to solve a problem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Complex Potential Flow?

Yes, Complex Potential Flow has many practical applications in engineering and science. It is commonly used in the design of aircraft, ships, and other vehicles to predict aerodynamic forces and optimize their performance. It is also used in the study of ocean currents, weather patterns, and other natural phenomena. Furthermore, Complex Potential Flow is used in the development of various industrial processes, such as the design of pumps and turbines.