Use De Moivre's to express sin 4Theta

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses using De Moivre's formula to express sin 4θ in terms of sinθ and cosθ, and then using that result to express sin4θcosθ in terms of sinθ only. By substituting c for cosθ and s for sinθ, it is shown that sin4θcosθ can be expressed as 4sc^4 - 4c^2.s^3, where all the powers of cosine are even. The importance of carefully reading and understanding the question is also highlighted.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

Using De Moivre's formula to express sin 4θ in terms of sinθ and cosθ. Using this result, express sin4θcosθ in terms of sinθ only.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So sin4θ = [cosθ+isinθ]^4

using Binomial

cos4θ= cos^4(θ) -6cos^2(θ)(sin^2(θ)) +sin^4(θ)

&

sin4θ= 4cos^3(θ)(sinθ) -4cosθsin^3(θ)

so for the last part of the question I assume you replace the cos^2(θ) with 1-sin^2(θ)

and then sub this result into cos4θ from above.

But I am a little lost about "express sin4θcosθ in terms of sinθ only."

where does the sin4θcosθ come from?? Is this the right approach?? I have seen similar question but its just asked to represent sin4θ in terms of cosθ or visa-verca

the extra cos term is messing with my head

? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
charmedbeauty said:

Homework Statement

Using De Moivre's formula to express sin 4θ in terms of sinθ and cosθ. Using this result, express sin4θcosθ in terms of sinθ only.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So sin4θ = [cosθ+isinθ]^4

First of all, that should read cos4θ + isin4θ = [cosθ+isinθ]^4 .

Or alternatively, that sin4θ = Im([cosθ+isinθ]^4), where Im() signifies the imaginary part. (Right?)

using Binomial

cos4θ= cos^4(θ) -6cos^2(θ)(sin^2(θ)) +sin^4(θ)

&

sin4θ= 4cos^3(θ)(sinθ) -4cosθsin^3(θ)

OK so far.

so for the last part of the question I assume you replace the cos^2(θ) with 1-sin^2(θ)

and then sub this result into cos4θ from above.

Why bother? You're not asked to determine cos4θ. Just focus on sin4θ.

But I am a little lost about "express sin4θcosθ in terms of sinθ only."

where does the sin4θcosθ come from?? Is this the right approach?? I have seen similar question but its just asked to represent sin4θ in terms of cosθ or visa-verca

the extra cos term is messing with my head

? Thanks.

Let's use c to represent cosθ and s to represent sinθ.

You've established that sin4θ = 4sc^3 - 4cs^3.

Because you can only easily express *even* powers of c in terms of s using the identity c^2 = 1 - s^2, you'll have a problem with that expression, because of the odd powers of cosine.

That's why they wanted you to work on sin4θcosθ instead. When you mutliply it out, you get:

sin4θcosθ = 4sc^4 - 4c^2.s^3

so all your powers of cosine are even. Now regroup terms and apply that identity till you express everything in terms of s alone.

Curious3141 said:
First of all, that should read cos4θ + isin4θ = [cosθ+isinθ]^4 .

Or alternatively, that sin4θ = Im([cosθ+isinθ]^4), where Im() signifies the imaginary part. (Right?)

OK so far.

Why bother? You're not asked to determine cos4θ. Just focus on sin4θ.

Let's use c to represent cosθ and s to represent sinθ.

You've established that sin4θ = 4sc^3 - 4cs^3.

Because you can only easily express *even* powers of c in terms of s using the identity c^2 = 1 - s^2, you'll have a problem with that expression, because of the odd powers of cosine.

That's why they wanted you to work on sin4θcosθ instead. When you mutliply it out, you get:

sin4θcosθ = 4sc^4 - 4c^2.s^3

so all your powers of cosine are even. Now regroup terms and apply that identity till you express everything in terms of s alone.

ohh it seems so obvious now!

I don't know if any other students have problems with this but one thing that seems to get me a lot of the time is reading the question and seeing what it is asking me to do.

Maybe I missed this part of math in high school, but I think that should be a focus in teaching since if I knew what the question was asking me I could have figured it out by myself.

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Related to Use De Moivre's to express sin 4Theta

1. How do I use De Moivre's formula to express sin 4Theta?

To use De Moivre's formula to express sin 4Theta, you will need to find the value of cos 4Theta. Then, you can use the formula sin 4Theta = 2sin 2Theta cos 2Theta to express it in terms of sin and cos.

2. What is De Moivre's formula?

De Moivre's formula is a trigonometric identity that allows us to express the sine and cosine of a multiple of an angle in terms of the sine and cosine of that angle. It is given by (cos Theta + i sin Theta)^n = cos(nTheta) + i sin(nTheta), where i is the imaginary unit.

3. Why is De Moivre's formula useful?

De Moivre's formula is useful because it allows us to simplify expressions involving multiple angles into simpler forms that are easier to work with. This can be particularly helpful in solving trigonometric equations or evaluating trigonometric integrals.

4. Can De Moivre's formula be used for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, De Moivre's formula can be used for other trigonometric functions such as tangent and cotangent. The formula for tangent is tan(nTheta) = (sin(nTheta))/(cos(nTheta)), and the formula for cotangent is cot(nTheta) = (cos(nTheta))/(sin(nTheta)). These can be derived from De Moivre's formula using basic trigonometric identities.

5. Are there any limitations to using De Moivre's formula?

While De Moivre's formula is a powerful tool in trigonometry, it has some limitations. It can only be used for expressing multiples of an angle, and it does not work for all types of trigonometric equations. Additionally, it requires basic knowledge of complex numbers and their operations.