Use EVT and Fermats to prove there is a c such that f'(c)=0

• Thread starter NWeid1
  • Start date
In summary, using the Extreme Value Theorem and Fermat's Theorem, it can be proven that there exists a c such that a<c<b and f'(c)=0, given that f is differentiable on the interval [a,b] and f'(a)<0<f'(b).
NWeid1

Homework Statement

If f is differentiable on the interval [a,b] and f'(a)<0<f'(b), prove that there is a c with a<c<b for which f'(c)=0. (Hint: Use the Extreme Value Theorem and Fermat's Theorem.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this should be an IVT problem, but I was having problems doing it so my teacher hinted at using EXT and Fermats but we haven't really used them much so I'm stuck :|

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of "Fermat's theorem"s. I expect you mean the one that says that if f'(x) is not 0, then x f(x) cannot be an etreme value. The EVT says that a continuous function has both max and min values on a closed, bounded, interval and Fermat's theorem say that if such a point is not an endpoint, and the derivative exists, then it must be 0. Since you are told that f is differentiable in this interval, all you need to show is that at least one of the max and min cannot be at an endpoint.

There is, by the way, another theorem that says that, while the derivative of a function is not necessarily continuous (which is why you cannot just immediately use the IVT) it is still true that f'(x) takes on all values between f'(a) and f'(b) on the interval [a, b]. That would make this very easy but I suspect you have not had that theorem yet.

FAQ: Use EVT and Fermats to prove there is a c such that f'(c)=0

1. What is EVT and how does it relate to proving the existence of a c such that f'(c)=0?

EVT stands for the Extreme Value Theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it must have a maximum and minimum value on that interval. This theorem is often used in conjunction with Fermat's Theorem, which states that if a function has a local extremum at a point c, then f'(c)=0. Therefore, by using EVT, we can prove that there must exist a point c where f'(c)=0.

2. In what situations is it useful to use EVT and Fermat's Theorem to prove the existence of a c such that f'(c)=0?

EVT and Fermat's Theorem are commonly used in calculus and optimization problems, where we are trying to find the maximum or minimum values of a function. By proving the existence of a point c where f'(c)=0, we can determine the critical points of a function, which are important in finding these extreme values.

3. Can you provide an example of using EVT and Fermat's Theorem to prove the existence of a c such that f'(c)=0?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = x^2 on the closed interval [0,2]. By EVT, we know that f(x) must have a maximum and minimum value on this interval. And by Fermat's Theorem, we know that if f(x) has a local extremum at a point c, then f'(c)=0. So, in this case, we can see that f'(1)=0, and therefore, there exists a point c=1 where f'(c)=0.

4. Are there any limitations to using EVT and Fermat's Theorem to prove the existence of a c such that f'(c)=0?

Yes, there are some limitations. These theorems only apply to continuous functions, so if a function is discontinuous on a closed interval, they cannot be used. Additionally, there may be cases where a function has a critical point but f'(c) does not equal 0, so we cannot use these theorems to prove the existence of a c in those cases.

5. How does proving the existence of a c such that f'(c)=0 help in solving mathematical problems?

By using EVT and Fermat's Theorem to prove the existence of a c where f'(c)=0, we can determine the critical points of a function, which are important in finding the maximum and minimum values of the function. This can be useful in optimization problems, finding the roots of a function, and other mathematical applications.