Use Kirchoff's laws to solve for tension and current

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension and current in each element of a circuit using Kirchoff's laws. The circuit is divided into three loops and equations are used to solve for the currents. However, it is also possible to solve for the currents and voltages through inspection. The conversation also mentions combining voltage sources in series to calculate the current.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/ys43ylstp/ [/B]
I need to find tension and current in each element of the circuit. I have included an image of what I have drawn so far for the circuit. http://postimg.org/image/ys43ylstp/

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated it into three loops. The one on the top I called loop 1 and the equation would be:
-5+R2I2+R1I1=0
loop 2 is the one underneath:
15+R3I3-R2I2=0
and loop 3 is on the far left:
-15+5+R4I4=0
Are these the right equations? Whenever I try to use the node law I always mix up something. Can someone please help me solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
photo.jpg

It is better to insert image in the OP itself than posting its link.
Cocoleia said:
I separated it into three loops. The one on the top I called loop 1 and the equation would be:
-5+R2I2+R1I1=0
loop 2 is the one underneath:
15+R3I3-R2I2=0
and loop 3 is on the far left:
-15+5+R4I4=0
Observe the circuit carefully. You can get all the currents(and voltages) just by inspection and not a single equation is required.

cnh1995 said:
View attachment 106508
It is better to insert image in the OP itself than posting its link.

Observe the circuit carefully. You can get all the currents(and voltages) just by inspection and not a single equation is required.
Sorry about the picture.

I have been working on it, and I assume that the current going through R1 would be 1.5A and the current going through R3 would be 0.5A.
I am also thinking that I2 = 1.5-0.5, which will let me calculate the tension for R2.
Could I combine the 2 voltage sources, as if they were in series, and get a single voltage source of 20V? Then that would be the voltage of R4 and I could calculate the current?

Last edited:
Cocoleia said:
Could I combine the 2 voltage sources, as if they were in series, and get a single voltage source of 20V? Then that would be the voltage of R4 and I could calculate the current?
Yes you can sum their potentials in series, however, beware of the polarities of the voltage sources!

You seem to be doing fine applying KCL where required and filling in the potential drops across the resistors. Keep going!

Related to Use Kirchoff's laws to solve for tension and current

1. What are Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that help determine the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. The first law, also known as Kirchoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction. The second law, known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of the voltage sources.

2. How do I use Kirchoff's laws to solve for tension and current?

To solve for tension and current using Kirchoff's laws, you first need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components and their values. Then, apply Kirchoff's laws by writing equations for each junction and loop in the circuit. You can then use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown values.

3. Can Kirchoff's laws be applied to any circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's laws can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit or a more complex circuit with multiple loops and branches. As long as the circuit is in a steady state, Kirchoff's laws can be used to accurately analyze it.

4. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws assume that all components in the circuit are ideal and do not account for any non-idealities such as resistance in wires or voltage drops at connections. Additionally, Kirchoff's laws only apply to circuits in a steady state and cannot be used for transient analysis.

5. What are the advantages of using Kirchoff's laws to solve for tension and current?

Kirchoff's laws provide a systematic and methodical approach to circuit analysis, making it easier to solve complex circuits. They also provide a theoretical basis for understanding the behavior of circuits and can be applied to a wide range of circuits.