Use logarithmic differentiation to find the derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses using logarithmic differentiation to find the derivative of a function and the process of applying the chain rule. The questioner also asks for verification of their answer and clarification on when to use logarithmic differentiation. The expert points out errors in the questioner's solution and provides tips for simplifying the process. Finally, the questioner asks for the expert to check another answer, which the expert suggests starting a new thread for.
manal950
Hi ..

647224042.jpg

can please check my answer and How I can know if the question want answer by using logarithmic differentiation or not ?

Physics news on Phys.org
manal950 said:
Hi ..

647224042.jpg

can please check my answer and How I can know if the question want answer by using logarithmic differentiation or not ?

In your 4th line you have a mistake.
Your 3rd line is:
ln y = (1/2) ln(x2 + x)

When you differentiate the left side, you should get (1/y) y', due to the chain rule.

In your last line a factor of y seems to have magically popped up on the right side. You got the right value for the derivative, but several steps in between are incorrect.

manal950 said:
Hi ..

647224042.jpg

Answer is correct, but as Mark pointed out there are some errors along the way.

It could be simplified. You have [itex]\ \sqrt{x^2+x}\ [/itex] in the numerator and x2 + x in the denominator.

If you have x in an exponent and also have x in the base, then logarithmic differentiation can be helpful.

The function you are differentiating here can be done more easily by simply applying the chain rule.

You usually use logarithmic differentiation when the exponent is also a variable.

BiP

thanks so much ...

can check this answer please

828239533.jpg

manal950 said:
can check this answer please

828239533.jpg
You really should start a new thread for this.

The 1/3 multiplies both logarithms .

thansk

FAQ: Use logarithmic differentiation to find the derivative

1. What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is difficult or impossible to find using traditional methods. It involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the function and then using the properties of logarithms to simplify and find the derivative.

2. When should logarithmic differentiation be used?

Logarithmic differentiation should be used when the function contains products, quotients, or powers that cannot be easily simplified or differentiated using traditional methods. It can also be useful when dealing with functions that involve both exponential and trigonometric functions.

3. How do you perform logarithmic differentiation?

To perform logarithmic differentiation, take the natural logarithm of both sides of the function. Then, use logarithmic rules to simplify the expression. Next, differentiate both sides with respect to the variable. Finally, solve for the derivative of the original function by multiplying by the original function and simplifying if necessary.

4. What are the advantages of using logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation can be a useful tool in finding the derivative of complicated functions. It allows for the use of logarithmic rules to simplify the expression, making it easier to differentiate. It is also helpful when dealing with functions that involve both exponential and trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithmic differentiation?

While logarithmic differentiation can be a powerful tool, it may not always be the most efficient method for finding the derivative. It can be time-consuming and may not always give the most simplified expression. It is also important to be cautious of any restrictions on the domain of the original function when using logarithmic differentiation.

Back