Use Newtonian Model to determine what the scale reads

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the force that a scale will read when strings are attached to it and a mass. Using Newton's Laws, the forces acting on the masses are identified and ƩF = ma is applied to solve for the acceleration and tension in the cable.
xyphr

Homework Statement

forcesystem-1.jpg

The strings attach to a scale which reads the force. What is the force that the scale will read?

Homework Equations

F=ma according to Newton's Laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

Thinking logically, I simply calculated the force of the left side:

F=ma => (2kg)(9.8m/ssq) = 19.6N

Then calculated the force of the right side:

F=ma => (1kg)(9.8m/ssq) = 9.8N

Then simply subtracted the two, leaving the final answer to be 9.8N. My teacher told me that this is not the right answer. I'm confused as to how else I could have done this problem. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
xyphr said:
Thinking logically, I simply calculated the force of the left side:

F=ma => (2kg)(9.8m/ssq) = 19.6N
What you found here is not 'ma', but mg. That's the weight of the left mass. That's just one of the forces acting on that mass. What's the other?

Then calculated the force of the right side:

F=ma => (1kg)(9.8m/ssq) = 9.8N
Same issue here.

What you need to do is identify all the forces acting on each mass and then apply ƩF = ma to each mass separately. Then you can solve for the acceleration of the masses and the tension in the cable (which will equal the scale reading).

Related to Use Newtonian Model to determine what the scale reads

1. How does the Newtonian Model work?

The Newtonian Model is a mathematical model that is based on Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion. It states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

2. How is the scale reading related to the Newtonian Model?

The scale reading is related to the Newtonian Model because it measures the force acting on an object. This force can then be used to calculate the object's mass and acceleration, which are essential components of the Newtonian Model.

3. What information is needed to use the Newtonian Model to determine the scale reading?

To use the Newtonian Model to determine the scale reading, you will need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. You may also need to know the force of gravity acting on the object, as this can affect the scale reading.

4. Can the Newtonian Model be used for all objects?

The Newtonian Model can be used for most objects that do not move at speeds close to the speed of light or exhibit quantum mechanical effects. For everyday objects, the Newtonian Model is a reliable and accurate way to determine scale readings.

5. How can I apply the Newtonian Model to real-world situations?

The Newtonian Model is widely used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be applied to real-world situations such as calculating the weight of an object on different planets or determining the force needed to move an object at a certain speed.