Use Ohm's law and KVL to find the value of R:

In summary, using Ohm's law and KVL, we can find the value of R in the given circuit. We start by applying KVL around the loop, which results in a potential drop of 100V across the 20Ω resistor. Using Ohm's law, we can then find the current through the 20Ω resistor to be 5A. We can also determine the current through the 5Ω resistor to be 20A. Combining the two currents, we can find the total current through R to be 25A. Knowing the potential drop of 50V across R and the total current of 25A, we can use Ohm's law again to find the value of R
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2038/homeworkprob18.jpg

(everything copied above is as given, except 'I3' was supposed to just be 'I', but more simple for me if 'I3')

Use Ohm's law and KVL to find the value of R

Homework Equations

V= IR

KVL, and maybe KCL:

KVL = Summation of potential in a loop = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

150V - 50V - (I1)(20Ω) = 0

100V = (I1)(20Ω)

I1 = 5A

V (on diagram)= (20Ω)(5A)

V = 100V

and I just go straight to saying V = 100V over the 5Ω resistor because it is in parallel with V on the diagram, right?

So, 100V = (5Ω)(I2)

I2 = 20A

I1 + I2 = I3

I3 = 25A

V= I/R ; R = V/I

R = 50V / 25A because 50V was the potential drop across R

R = 2Ω

I didn't see the potential drop across R until I was halfway posting this, but is this correct anyway? It looks weird, and I do not know what the correct answer is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result looks fine.

Yes, you can go right to "100V/5Ω". In fact, you should recognize that the 50V dropped across R means that the parallel pair of resistors must have 100V across it (that's KVL combined with the shared potential drop of parallel branches) so that the total drop equals the supply voltage.

Also, knowing the potential drop across the 5 and 20 Ohm resistors tells you the current through each of them. This should tell you something about the current through R, and knowing both the current and potential drop for R...

FAQ: Use Ohm's law and KVL to find the value of R:

1. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental law in physics that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. What is KVL?

KVL (Kirchhoff's voltage law) is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

3. How do you use Ohm's law to find the value of R?

To use Ohm's law to find the value of R, you need to know the values of voltage and current in the circuit. Then, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current.

4. Can Ohm's law and KVL be used together to find the value of R?

Yes, Ohm's law and KVL can be used together to find the value of R in a circuit. By applying both laws, you can create a system of equations and solve for the unknown resistance value.

5. Are there any limitations to using Ohm's law and KVL to find the value of R?

Yes, there are limitations to using Ohm's law and KVL to find the value of R. These laws assume that the circuit is linear (i.e. the components behave according to Ohm's law) and that there are no changing magnetic fields. If these assumptions are not met, then the calculated value of R may not be accurate.