Use series methods to find the solution corresponding to....

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: C_1y_1 + C_2y_2$ In summary, the recursive formula for this equation is $a_{n+1} = \frac{a_n(1-n)}{n+1}$ and the solutions are $y_1 = 1 + x + 0 + 0 + ... + ...$ and $y_2 = x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + ...$. The final solution is $y = C_1y_1 + C_2y_2$.
shamieh
Use series methods to find the solution corresponding to $a_0 = 1$ for the equation: $(x+1)y' - y = 0$

I just need someone to verify if my solution is correct.

I ended up with the recursive formula being: $a_{n+1} = a_n$ and I ended up with $y_1 = 1 + 0 + 0 ...$ and $y_2 = x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4...$ and $y = C_1y_1 + C_2y_2$

View attachment 4318

Attachments

• IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 59
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really have to use series for this? You can get an EXACT solution quite easily by separating the variables or using an integrating factor...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( x + 1 \right) \, \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} - y &= 0 \\ \left( x + 1 \right) \, \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= y \\ \frac{1}{y} \, \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= \frac{1}{x+1} \\ \int{ \frac{1}{y}\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} \,\mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ \frac{1}{x+1}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ \int{ \frac{1}{y}\,\mathrm{d}y} &= \ln{|x+1|} + C_1 \\ \ln{|y|} + C_2 &= \ln{|x+1|} + C_1 \\ \ln{|y|} - \ln{|x+1|} &= C_1 - C_2 \\ \ln{ \left| \frac{y}{x+1} \right| } &= C_1 - C_2 \\ \left| \frac{y}{x+1} \right| &= \mathrm{e}^{C_1 - C_2} \\ \frac{y}{x+1} &= C \textrm{ where } C = \pm \mathrm{e}^{C_1 - C_2} \\ y &= C\,\left( x + 1 \right) \end{align*}$

Yes, unfortunately, I have to use the series method as the question specifically states Use series methods to solve.. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Is my solution correct?

So for my final solution I have

recursive formula: $a_{n+1} = \frac{a_n(1-n)}{n+1}$

$y_1 = 1 + 0.. + 0 .. + ...$

so $y = C_1y_1$

UPDATE: SOLVED

The final solution is:

Recursion Formula: $a_{n+1} = \frac{a_n(1-n)}{n+1}$

$\therefore y_1 = 1 + x + 0 + 0 + ... + ...$

FAQ: Use series methods to find the solution corresponding to....

1. What are series methods used for in science?

Series methods are mathematical techniques used to approximate solutions to equations that cannot be solved exactly. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to find numerical solutions to complex problems.

2. How do series methods work?

Series methods involve representing a function as an infinite series, usually using power series or Fourier series. By truncating the series at a finite point, an approximate solution to the equation can be found.

3. What types of equations can be solved using series methods?

Series methods can be used to solve a wide range of equations, including differential equations, integral equations, and transcendental equations.

4. What are the advantages of using series methods?

Series methods allow for the solution of complex equations that cannot be solved using traditional methods. They also provide a more accurate approximation compared to other numerical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using series methods?

Series methods can be time-consuming and require a good understanding of mathematical concepts. They may also only provide an approximation, rather than an exact solution, to the equation.